unusual Bailey transitional plane ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilspe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not seen any of these with a brass sole before ? The 'Superior Works' site which is very comprehensive doesn't mention anything either. I guess could have been added by a user.....
DSCN1124.JPG
DSCN1136.JPG

I reckon many of these wooden planes were made by the cabinetmaker at the time, either during apprenticeship or when the need arose.

Plus you'll always get some bloke who balked at the price of a plane, and would have told his mates down the pub he could make one just as good.

The metal sole would have been put on by the owner. The whole point of the transitional plane was to have a wooden sole. The plane makers were trying to win over the traditional wood plane users.
Regards
John

bilspe.......looks rather nice.....do u use it.?....should slip over the wood like ice....

in my junk box I have a med size plane made from sheet steel......sides n base machine screwed together....
plan to post a photo when it comes out of storage.....

The plane makers were trying to win over the traditional wood plane users.
Regards

Actually I think it has more to do with money than tradition or the need to modernize.

For a No4 a solid metal plane body needs cast as one piece, for a No7 its a much bigger casting costing more.
The transitional plane means the same casting to hold the blade mechanism can be used if its a No4, or 5,6,7,or even 8.

User modified. Looks pretty and should work nicely. Brass might leave dark streaks, if it oxidizes, just clean the sole!

You do need to clock the screws!

Yes after some research I'm agreeing the brass was probably owner modified. Looks almost period though and is quite well done (apart from the un clocked screws !)
And yes it planes quite nicely. I lapped the sole a bit but it could do with some time spending on it.
Has a sweethart blade.
I have it for sale on Ebad so wont be a keeper unfortunately
DSCN1146.JPG
DSCN1128.JPG

Actually I think it has more to do with money than tradition or the need to modernize.

For a No4 a solid metal plane body needs cast as one piece, for a No7 its a much bigger casting costing more.
The transitional plane means the same casting to hold the blade mechanism can be used if its a No4, or 5,6,7,or even 8.
Fair point. Makers would always be thinking about cost of production.
As to metal soles being stuck on wooden planes it was done by a lot of plane owners to reduce ware and time out keeping the sole flat. Dont think it would be necessary for most of us weekend woodworkers as we would not be working it enough to ware out a wooden sole.
Regards
John

I have one similar with a steel plate let into the sole in front of the mouth, same Stanley stamp on the front, they don't usually fetch much, I got mine for a fiver last year.

I have one similar with a steel plate let into the sole in front of the mouth, same Stanley stamp on the front, they don't usually fetch much, I got mine for a fiver last year.

£5 is a bargain.
They're generally not highly desirable among collectors although this one is gaining some interest and bids on Ebad. From research, I think the early Bailey ones are a bit rare.

Back