Unused tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst photographing my ' dinged plane', I remembered this tool which was given to me 15 years ago and has never been used, anyone else have or use one.

DSCI0004.jpg

Dom

Is it for removing deeply embedded nails or removing screws that are just turning (stripped)

Hi Dom,

I looked for that twin mortice chisel a moment. Good to see someone has one 8) :lol:

Cheers

p.s. If you ever want to part with, write me :whistle:

promhandicam":3lh9661u said:
I think it is a Japanese tenoning chisel. 8)

Steve

Probably because of PeterTheGoodToolGuy's misnaming. I'd love to see someone make a tenon using this tool.

In fact, it's a double mortising chisel and sometimes used to "plough" parallel grooves for short distances. It's called a Nihon-Mukomachi-Nomi.

Pam

pam niedermayer":32go8903 said:
promhandicam":32go8903 said:
I think it is a Japanese tenoning chisel. 8)

Steve

Probably because of PeterTheGoodToolGuy's misnaming. I'd love to see someone make a tenon using this tool.

In fact, it's a double mortising chisel and sometimes used to "plough" parallel grooves for short distances. It's called a Nihon-Mukomachi-Nomi.

Pam
Thats easy for you to say

As Pam says it is a japanese chisel for cutting pairs of parallel mortices.

I used one once, when writing about Japanese chisels it in an article for Furniture and Cabinetmaking. In fact that could even be the very one which was returned to Paul Brown....

Did not find it easy to use! But did not practice.....

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

pam niedermayer":3j7ygwbf said:
snip - Probably because of PeterTheGoodToolGuy's misnaming. - snip

From Knights 1880 Mechanical Dictionary:

Tenoning-chisel. A double-blade chisel which makes two cuts, leaving a middle piece which forms a tenon.

I won't disagree that Peter Veal has used this expression but unless he is very very old he didn't come up with it :lol:

Steve

Again, I challenge anyone to make a decent tenon using this chisel.

I don't know the Knight's book/catalog. Does it include Japanese chisels? My source is Toshio Odate and personal use of the same type chisel.

Pam

pam niedermayer":16awta89 said:
I don't know the Knight's book/catalog. Does it include Japanese chisels? My source is Toshio Odate and personal use of the same type chisel. Pam

Pam, I am quite sure you are correct - Knights Dictionary doesn't specifically mention Japanese chisels.

My final comment would be that the idea that this is a tenoning chisel seems to be a mistake that others have made.

All the best,

Steve

It amazes me how long some people will persevere, before finally admitting that it's time they bought a wider waterstone :lol:

Back