Union graduate users please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arckivio

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been around for a while on here doing some reading & now I have a few questions.

I recently bought a 3 phase graduate & am in the process of doing it up, usual paint job, bearings & new phase inverter. It hasn't run at all yet as I need a new pulley but my question regards the locking assembly on the tool rest banjo. Why is it so long because it looks like it would get in the way? Also, can anyone tell me why it's so long in the first place?

I was thinking of cutting it down & drilling a new hole & having a round bar that isn't captive & can just drop out of the way to a certain extent, anyone done this?

Regards, Archie.

Someone must know the answer to this? I'm still waiting for my pulley so still haven't turned on my new baby. I don't want to cut the bar down & find out in 6 months there was a reason they left it long.
Thanks.

Hi Archie.
I'm not familiar with that lathe but i would leave as is for now until you start using it,then if its not to your liking cut it to suit. :?:

Hi Archie,
Not quite sure what you are referring to, is it the thread that locks the vertical part of the tool rest (or "T" rest)? If so, this is a LH thread. On older Graduates the thread is integral with the locking handle, but on more recent machines it has a captive tommy bar as you suggest (like a vice handle). The LH thread will have a brass pad set into the front so as not to damage the T rest stem. If this pad is filed away bit by bit the locking knob will gradually lock in a more anti-clockwise direction and present itself in a better position (usually about 8 or 9 o'clock is OK). Personally I have never found this to be a problem and agree with Paul J until you have the lathe up and running.
Kind regards,
Tudor

Retire2004":1irltwpl said:
Hi Archie,
Not quite sure what you are referring to, is it the thread that locks the vertical part of the tool rest (or "T" rest)? If so, this is a LH thread. On older Graduates the thread is integral with the locking handle, but on more recent machines it has a captive tommy bar as you suggest (like a vice handle). The LH thread will have a brass pad set into the front so as not to damage the T rest stem. If this pad is filed away bit by bit the locking knob will gradually lock in a more anti-clockwise direction and present itself in a better position (usually about 8 or 9 o'clock is OK). Personally I have never found this to be a problem and agree with Paul J until you have the lathe up and running.
Kind regards,
Tudor

Thanks to both of you for for the replies.
It's the actual tool rest I'm talking about, I've already replaced the locking handle for the "T" rest with a bristol ratchet type handle. I'm talking about the camlock bar that protrudes from the banjo itself. When i say protrudes, I mean its as long as the banjo!!! I might have to wait as suggested & see how it feels. I'll try to add a pic of mine, pointing out the part in question but looking on google images I have seen toolrests with shorter bars than mine. Maybe their were shorter versions or they cut theirs.

Also ordered a 66 inch v belt & it's too short!!! Can't work that one out at all but what a machine.
To add a rev counter to the spot where the switch plate used to be, meant I had to grind away a small amount to make it wider. Used a hilti grinder fitted with a 36 grit disc they use in my factory to grind away welding all day. It took forever & I'm sure I could have ground down high speed steel faster & I'm so happy I bought this lathe & not one of these modern light weights where all the weight is in the bed because its easy to cast & needs just a bit of surface grinding. As far as I'm concerned, the strength needs to be in the part that's spinning your wood & that's the heasdstock!
1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,048
Hi Archie,
Sorry if I missunderstood your question. I beleive the reason for the long extension is to give greater flexibility when in use. e.g. if the T rest centre is close to, or just beyond the lathe centre line (for whatever reason) and the banjo casting may need to be at an angle (veiwed from above) then you will see the benefit of the long extention. Or maybe when you are working close to the headstock casting. The handle is of course reversible (RH or LH rotation for locking). Hope this makes sense, in any event you would still be well advised to try out the lathe for some time before thinking about shortening it.

Regards,
Tudor

Retire2004":1e8lcgrc said:
Hi Archie,
Sorry if I missunderstood your question. I beleive the reason for the long extension is to give greater flexibility when in use. e.g. if the T rest centre is close to, or just beyond the lathe centre line (for whatever reason) and the banjo casting may need to be at an angle (veiwed from above) then you will see the benefit of the long extention. Or maybe when you are working close to the headstock casting. The handle is of course reversible (RH or LH rotation for locking). Hope this makes sense, in any event you would still be well advised to try out the lathe for some time before thinking about shortening it.

Regards,
Tudor

Yes, will definitely wait & see. I just thought there had to be a reason for it to be that long. Maybe you've just told me what it is.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back