Union Graduate or ML8?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing my existing lathe and either the Myford ML8 or Union Grad would fit the bill nicely, with the ML8 being the cheaper option. It also has the benefit of having a No 1 MT that will take my existing collection of ironmongery. However, the short-bed or 30" Union Grad would take up less room in my very small workshop (I have to go outside to change my mind). The down side of these is the No3 MT headstock won't take my existing chuck and components.
There are a few Union Grads for sale on line, but the ones within my budget are 3-phase. I could fit a single-phase motor, but when looking at them they seem to be either 2- or 4-pole, and I don't know how I'd choose - any ideas?
If anyone would care to chuck in their thoughts I'd be grateful!

Hi , my vote would be for the Union Grad , far superior lathe " I have one "

I looked at a Myford ML8 when I first started and after reading and seeing comments about the slot in the tool rest bar , filling up with shavings and dust causing the tool rest to jam / stick etc and it only being a single bar etc
the build quality of the Graduate got my vote :p

The one I have is a short bed converted to variable speed , remember these were built way before chiwaneese were around and designers were not accountants , built to a standard not a price :wink:

Hi,
I am a novice turner with an ML8, and am very happy with it.
Lots of the members in the club I attend also rate it as a lathe, build quality etc.
Yes the shavings do collect in the bed, but a quick poke with a bit of bar soon sorts that out.
I've no experience of the graduate, so can't compare the two.

Hope you get the lathe you want

Malc :D

Blister, The Shark...thanks for your comments - yes I've seen a few comments about the tube on the ML8 filling up. That wouldn't put me off because, as you say, it's easily sorted. The ML8 is much more likely to be within my budget - particularly if I factor in possibly replacing the motor and certainly the chucking system on the Graduate.
As to the Grad, I used one at an evening class over 30 years ago, and even without knowing much about them the quality was obvious - lovely piece of kit. Also in its favour the short bed version would actually free up a bit of space as I don't turn long stuff anyway.

I'm a Myford enthusiast, but would still not recommend the ML8 for several reasons.
1. The problem of shavings in the bed
2. Something of a pain changing speeds with that underslung motor, but so is the Graduate.
3 Lack of a swivelling head - again, shared with the Graduate, but it means you need more space and have to learn to turn "back to front".

That all said, it <is> a nicely made machine.

I've used Graduate when I started turning, the Boss had one. I bought an ML8 as my first lathe. I would go for the Graduate every time. It is a much larger, more robust machine. Made for larger turnings. The ML8 is well made and will last for years as well, but I often wanted something bigger, more swing over the bed, able to take a larger bowl easily. The bed always annoyed me as well, always full of shavings. Yes you can poke them out, but it is a fiddle all the time.
That my opinion anyway!!

Johnny B

...mmm...looks like more folks in favour of the Graduate. Guess I may have to save my beer tokens and keep my eyes peeled for the right one at the right price.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Know nothing about them, but folk on this forum seem to enthuse about various Axminster lathes; not in the Grad class, but for the money may be the best compromise.
I put (too much! ) money where my mouth is, and bought a secondhand Myford, but a Mystro, not an ML8. It's a nice heavy machine with a swivelling head, but it has a basic fault with the horizontal alignment of the tailstock. They appear on the 'bay from time to time, and don't seem to attract many bidders, so that might be another route. If nothing else, it would be nice to have another Mystro owner on the forum :)

You can get new graduates from here with 240V variable speed fitted, may be beyond budget though.

Jason

Latest posts

Back