Understanding a nameplate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobmanDad

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some information from my motors nameplate. Here's the plate:

Mod edit image.
1[2].jpg

I know it's a 2 speed 3 phase motor and is in a Startrite 325s Bandsaw. I was looking to connect it to my inverter so I opened the cover on the motor to change the wiring to delta. Here's the wiring:

Mod Edit image.
4[1].jpg

When I saw there was no star or delta configuration I did a bit more research. As the motor is a two speed, I'm not sure if it can be connected to an inverter. Can anyone help explain some of the other information on the nameplate so that I can investigate further? For example, I come across terms like of "the 'consequent pole' type", but I can't tell from the nameplate if mine is of that type.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: The photos don't seem to be appearing so I added links as well.

Attachments

• 1[2].jpg
    1[2].jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 4[1].jpg
    4[1].jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 170
You cannot change the voltage of this type of motor to work with a common "240 in, 240 out" type of inverter - which I assume is your aim.

You need a voltage converting inverter, 240 single phase in, 400v 3 phase out or a three phase supply to start with and an inverter to give you variable speed - if that is what you want.

Two speed three phase motors are almost always consequent pole. Motors with 3 or more speeds tend to have 1 set of star windings for each speed.

Thanks for that Myfordman

My inverter is a Powtran PI8600. I'm not sure if the outputs from T1, T2 and T3 are 240v or higher. Would you know?

You need to read the manual and the spec for your particular model. Very few inverters can output higher volts than they take as input so it is highly likely that this inverter will not do what you want.

Incidentally, running a 400v motor on 240v will give much reduced power.

The 352 is a two speed bandsaw but it is not the motor that is 2 speed. There are two different pulleys that you can shift the belt onto from the single pulley on the motor, hence giving you 2 speeds. I had the same problem a few years ago and just got a single phase motor to run it on 240v.

Mike

Back