Ultex diamond stones offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my 300 one and it was not flat, but with 3 lengths of oak and my vice I tweeked it flat, I had to use quite a lot of force but I didn’t unwrap it so if it went wrong I could send it back.

Pete

Biliphuster":39bcv0lc said:
I bought an Ultex 300 maybe a year ago. So far no complaints, very fast material removal (compared to a course Norton India) and seems to have held up well to occasional use on steel and occasional lapping of other stones.

Mine has a slight hollow in it, which makes it undesirable for flattening backs but great for flattening stones.

For the price, I really don't think you can go far wrong.

Beat me to it - I have 300 / 600 / 1200 and all three are bowed along the length - the 1200 quite markedly, 2 mm or so.

I pointed this out to ITS, who basically said "it's not our fault gov" - I did consider sending them back, but for sharpening they are fine.

I must be lucky. I bought the same three and they are all dead flat. Can’t get a .001” feeler gauge under my straight edge at any point no matter how I orient the edge. More than flat enough for me.

rafezetter":1rn44i9h said:
Biliphuster":1rn44i9h said:
I bought an Ultex 300 maybe a year ago. So far no complaints, very fast material removal (compared to a course Norton India) and seems to have held up well to occasional use on steel and occasional lapping of other stones.

Mine has a slight hollow in it, which makes it undesirable for flattening backs but great for flattening stones.

For the price, I really don't think you can go far wrong.

Beat me to it - I have 300 / 600 / 1200 and all three are bowed along the length - the 1200 quite markedly, 2 mm or so.

I pointed this out to ITS, who basically said "it's not our fault gov" - I did consider sending them back, but for sharpening they are fine.

Give them a tweak in the vice, all you need is 3 blocks of wood.

Pete

Back