Uk workshop magazine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I think we all enjoy a good magazine but there seems to be a general feeling that some are not up to scratch. As for a UKWorkshop magazine, I kind of see British Woodworking as "our" magazine, I don't know how Nick feels about this and I hope he takes this as it is intended!

Nick is a member on the forum and is open to suggestions, many of the contributors are members on here as well. If you have a good idea I'm sure he would be happy to see it and possibly publish it. Nick also occaisionally sends out emails for input on various subjects. If this isn't a UKWorkshop magazine, I don't know what is!!!

Cheers,

Richard

I think the days are numbered for the magazine format. There was a time when a magazine was a weekly or monthly snapshot of the latest news, review, etc. You could keep the magazines and refer back to reviews, for example, if you found you were in the market to actually buy something. Or you could refer back to a "how to" article if you were about to make something. These days the information is all available in a much more granular way from the Internet. The only thing a magazine has over the Internet these days is portability (you still can't beat lounging comfortably on sofa etc having a read from a paper medium) and the linear format that is more conducive (IMO) to absorbing information than the Internet.

I rarely pick up magazines these days. I grab the occasional copy of What Car when they review the "Top 5" new cars and stash it away ready for when I'm in the market for a secondhand car in 18 months time (i.e. by which time the reviews will be relevant to the models on the secondhand market).

One final point that springs to mind... Magazines are so damn expensive these days. I tend to buy a book instead for not a lot more in some cases (and in some the book is less!).

wizer":12sl8b9u said:
...whilst I think I can write well, I have no content to provide.

Are you kidding??? :shock:

What about 'Cock-Up Corner'? Or, 'Tom's Guide to Buying and Selling (...the same piece of kit, six-months down the line!)'...

:D

Magazines will always have a place amongst the older generation and those others out there who are less computer-savvy than ourselves. :)

who's nick? maybe someone could let him know that british woodworking can't be found in the Bangor area. I went for a look when someone mentioned an article that sounded worth buying. Think i could buy it? hmmmm I could find plenty of magazines that looked like woodworking magazines until you opened them, but i'm simply not interested in building a bird house. Hopefully nick can direct me to somewhere i can actually buy his magazine.

I think my area is devoid of folk like us, therefore no woodworking magazines.

In days past when reading a woodwork magazine I felt that the magazines were dependant on supplier support re advertising and I stopped reading a particular magazine that no longer carried advertisers who were heavily discounting certain products.

crazylilting":1a8jr636 said:
who's nick?

There are several ways to contact him and this page will provide you with the details. He's also a forum member so, you could send him a PM (search for 'Nick Gibbs').

Generally, this magazine is available in WHSmiths and Borders, if you have one near you?

Latest posts

Back