UK Travel Ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure you’ll find lots of good things to do.
Hunting? Best forget about that. Totally different culture to what you may be used to.

I haven't looked into but hunting is not a common thing or it's just priced too high to be reasonable? I thought bird hunting especially was fairly common.

I haven't looked into but hunting is not a common thing or it's just priced too high to be reasonable? I thought bird hunting especially was fairly common.
Fairly common but not condoned by the majority. Hidden away by the middle and upper classes.

the north york moors.
Reminds me of coming back from Whitby early one evening with a mate and the car threw the fan belt. Pulled over and called the AA.

Whilst waiting, nightfall came, the temperature dropped and the "fog" rolled in and us 2 crouched around a halogen floodlamp at ground level lighting up the sign for some hotel place (way off the road), to stay warm.

To say it was eerie as f... was an understatement. Was so happy when the AA guy turned up and we got going again.

Whitby is a lovely place to visit tho.

Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare), and Warwick Castle.
Bletchley Park.
Stonehenge.
Red squirrels at Formby.
Trip on one of the UKs canals or maybe a punt on the river at Oxford or Cambridge.
Walks in the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales.
Many National Trust properties and English Heritage sites to choose from covering stately homes, castles, etc.
Distillery visit in Scotland, although maybe not one for the kids :)
Trip up Snowdon - there is a railway if you don’t fancy the walk.
Dinorwig power station.
Lots to see in London too.

Last edited:
A few years ago I visited Washington DC and was guided around by a friend from over there who used to teach American history and was excited to go to their Smithsonian Institute and explore the “National museum of natural history”. To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement but having been , in the same year , to Edinburgh castle and thoroughly enjoyed the immersive experience of wandering around their fantastic exhibits and catching the Edinburgh military Tattoo at night I’d say make sure to add it to your list!

Have you been to the UK before and done the London museums and sights, really the iconic land marks are not to be missed.

Stay in Ely, Cambridgeshire. Wonderful cathedral, Frequent 20 minute trains to Cambridge (colleges and punting on the river) good direct rail service to Norwich, Stamford Birmingham and Liverpool

An interesting thread, makes me realise who much more I have to see on these islands and I've been here over 60 years! Surprised no one has mentioned Coalbrookdale, birthplace of the industrial revolution. Well worth a visit if only to see the Iron Bridge

I will be spending a lot of time in 2023 with my wife and children in the UK. We will be moving around too so I'm trying to plan things now. This question is going to be a vague one but what are some of your favorite things to do in your area or other areas of the UK? Certain festivals, specific hikes, museums, activities (fishing for XYZ at XYZ) ... I know there are thousands of blogs and lists on the Internet of what to see/do in the UK but curious to hear from you all and perhaps be able to ask questions.

Cheers!
Certainly is a vague question for sure.

It might help members to give you a more helpful response if you let us know "when" you and your family will be over in the UK and "where" you're going to be "moving around to". Also "when" you may be in those areas/how long for in an area...

With this information members in those areas could advise what's in their area that may be of interest to you and yours at the time you'll be around - as well as what may be in easy "day" travel distance outside of the area etc., or if wanting/willing to stay overnight or longer?

Also depends on any "time restraints" on you and yours with free time and the time spent on the reason being here for the time travelling/staying around the UK.

The national trust manage lots of historic houses and a lot of coastal and mountain areas. A years family membership (£130) is a good investment you can see some great joinery, cabinet making and architecture in the houses and get free parking at their countryside sites. There's some great outdoor museums, st fagans near Cardiff, beamish near Newcastle and the Ironbridge museum near Telford I'd visit at least one of those.

Look up the South West Coast Path - don't attempt it all. Some of the sections along South Dorset are interesting and varied. Could combine with Corfe Castle, (Steam Railway to Swanage from there) Poole Harbour

Charmouth Fossil Beach, Lyme Regis, West Bay - a bit further along into Devon along with Weymouth and Portland Bill

+1 more from me for the Scottish Highlands.
Also walk part of the Pennine Way? But you need to plan the month and week. It can be disorientating in bad weather on high ground and it rains a lot.
Your kids might enjoy a day on it (or not) 😉, but they will probably never forget the memory! 😁
Edale to Kinder Downfall and back is quite doable in one day. But do prepare with proper walking boots etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pennine-Way-Companion-Pictorial-Wainwright/dp/0711222355You would be able to pick up a 2nd hand/used version of the above book for a lot less.

Scottish Highlands definitely seems to be a highlight for many here! The images of the South West Coast Path look absolutely stunning.

Rather than the scottish highlands that are fairly large, do the Isle of Skye which is a condensed version and you can see a lot in two days, some amazing things to see.

No one has mentioned visiting any of the show caves in the peak district, or the White Scar caves in the Yorkshire dales, the longest in the UK.

And plenty of money too, think you are paying a dollar or so for a litre of petrol, back up to around £1.70 a litre this week, diesel a lot more. Least rubbish pound is in your favour.

I will be spending a lot of time in 2023 with my wife and children in the UK. We will be moving around too so I'm trying to plan things now. This question is going to be a vague one but what are some of your favorite things to do in your area or other areas of the UK? Certain festivals, specific hikes, museums, activities (fishing for XYZ at XYZ) ... I know there are thousands of blogs and lists on the Internet of what to see/do in the UK but curious to hear from you all and perhaps be able to ask questions.

Cheers!
Hello,
I would recommend visiting the Isle of Wight, miles of beautiful empty sandy beaches, surf in the right conditions and great fishing. Plenty of places to take the kids and lovely countryside with wonderful scenery. It is all there and easy to get to. The walk on Tennyson Down out to the Needles takes some beating.
Regards

Back