UK Travel Ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kau

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be spending a lot of time in 2023 with my wife and children in the UK. We will be moving around too so I'm trying to plan things now. This question is going to be a vague one but what are some of your favorite things to do in your area or other areas of the UK? Certain festivals, specific hikes, museums, activities (fishing for XYZ at XYZ) ... I know there are thousands of blogs and lists on the Internet of what to see/do in the UK but curious to hear from you all and perhaps be able to ask questions.

Cheers!

It's a bit like asking for a recommendation on something to eat, without the other person knowing anything about you. LOL

How old are your kids? What sorts of things do they and you (& your wife) like doing or into?

Do you like urban "exploring" or countryside? Or both?

What kind of food are you into? (some things you can only get in a some places and nowhere else).

What sort of things are you into? There's quite a bit within and hour or so drive from my general area but it's difficult to pin something down without knowing your interests. Got things like Portsmouth docks with Nelson's old flagship during the battle of Trafalgar and occasionally the new carriers are moored up there. Corfe castle in the opposite direction, they frequently have Saxon/Viking age themed things going on around there during the summer, doubles up as a hike if you're feeling up to steep inclines. Bournemouth has a small art museum but I can't really tell you what thats like as I've never been there. Dorchester has Egyptian and dinosaur museums (very small). Got a few breweries and cider orchards that do tours nearby too, best to try and convice the wife to drive to those ones if possible ;). I'll admit it's not much compared to what London has to offer but you get to drive through the countryside as opposed to a traffic jam.

Dorset.jpg

And the world's most terrifying sign if you've seen planet of the apes

It's a bit like asking for a recommendation on something to eat, without the other person knowing anything about you. LOL

How old are your kids? What sorts of things do they and you (& your wife) like doing or into?

Do you like urban "exploring" or countryside? Or both?

What kind of food are you into? (some things you can only get in a some places and nowhere else).

My kids are between 8 and 15, so a bit of a spread.

We are pretty open on both activities and food esp. when traveling. We love all things outdoors; hiking, fishing, hunting but also enjoy museums and urban things.

So I'm more curious in general about what you all like and from there can get some ideas.

A friend suggested walking a portion of Hadrian's Wall. So been researching best stretches for that. Really open to suggestions.

We are pretty open on both activities and food esp. when traveling. We love all things outdoors; hiking, fishing, hunting but also enjoy museums and urban things.

So I'm more curious in general about what you all like and from there can get some ideas.

A friend suggested walking a portion of Hadrian's Wall. So been researching best stretches for that. Really open to suggestions.
I'll give it a go then based on my wanderings:

Manchester - lovely old architecture in the city centre, good museums and the Curry Mile (you might not want to leave. ;) )

Liverpool & it's docks etc isn't too far away.

Knowlsey Safari Park is between the 2 and has lots to do for active kids. Word of warning - just drive past the monkey enclosure & don't drive in. Otherwise you'll be missing bits of the car.

Yorkshire - big county and lots of lovely places to see. Lots of lovely scenery and historic places to see, including the home of the Bronte sisters.

Further north - Durham: beautiful historic city. Land of the Prince Bishops. York - a few museums (Railway & Viking ones). Interesting medieval parts of the centre.

Northumbria - amazing scenery.

The Midlands - Nottingham & Sherwood Forest. Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare country).

Wales - never really ventured there but impressive scenery and lots of outdoor things to do.

Scotland - so much to see: the big cities and everywhere else.

The South - I've never been bar the odd visit to Goodwood & it's Festival of Speed. Hopefully folk more familiar with that part will fill you in.

HIH

Dibs

Weald and Downland museum, +1 for Portsmouth, and a hovercraft trip to the Isle of Wight, try Robin Hill country park and Blackgang Chine for the young uns. Bridport, West Bay to Lyme Regis, Glastonbury Tor, Gower peninsula, Tenby
That's for starters

We love all things outdoors; hiking, fishing, hunting but also enjoy museums and urban things.
I’m sure you’ll find lots of good things to do.
Hunting? Best forget about that. Totally different culture to what you may be used to.

We have been hunting for a good PM if you would like to have a try at that 😁😁

I will be spending a lot of time in 2023 with my wife and children in the UK. We will be moving around too so I'm trying to plan things now. This question is going to be a vague one but what are some of your favorite things to do in your area or other areas of the UK? Certain festivals, specific hikes, museums, activities (fishing for XYZ at XYZ) ... I know there are thousands of blogs and lists on the Internet of what to see/do in the UK but curious to hear from you all and perhaps be able to ask questions.

Cheers!
Museums;
St Fagans is brilliant.lots of vernacular woodwork. St Fagans National Museum of History - Wikipedia
American Museum said to be good (I haven't been) and not far from St Fagans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Fagans_National_Museum_of_HistoryBlack Country museum is good but expensive - you have to buy a season ticket!
https://bclm.com/Then there's all the big ones in London and most large towns and cities

Do some history...

Got to visit some old proper pubs deep in the countryside.

Some around here have been pubs for around 300 years... and by the look of many, have never been redecorated....

There are 211 listed (historically significant) buildings in our village, including every building in the high street - most date from the 1600s or earlier - the church dates from around 1170 but the one in the next village is even older...

Our Oast house, at 1840s, is quite new... tonnes to do around here too - many historically significant gardens, houses etc.

https://goudhurst.co.uk/
* If you look at the photos section of the site, pretty much everything now looks the same as it did 110 years ago when the photos were taken

Last edited:
King Charles is having a bit of a bash in London on 6th May which may be of interest.

The Edinburgh Festival in August is good fun.

Getting up into the Highlands (Scotland) if you like the outdoors is worthwhile.

If your kids are thrill seekers it’s well worth doing this …

https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/velocity

The Roman army musuem at Brampton just off the A69 in Northumberland is worth a visit, it will give you an idea of the scale of what the romans achieved in the area and is also near Vindolanda and Housesteads forts both worth a visit.

The South - I've never been bar the odd visit to Goodwood & it's Festival of Speed. Hopefully folk more familiar with that part will fill you in.
Having once lived there I can say it is somewhat over rated, plenty of crowds and conjestion and rather flat. People will tell you that London is the centre of the universe but it really is not, somewhere like Cambridge is more attractive and some of the Suffolk villages like Clare or Flatford where Constable painted the haywain. For the outdoors and scenery then it is head north. Yorkshire dales, peak district, Northumberland, Cumbria and the lake district, west coast of scotland but beware of their midges and the north york moors.

Latest posts

Back