UK & Ireland TIMBER YARDS - PLEASE Add Your Favourites

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Region: Norfolk
Vendor name: Chris Aldridge
Town/City: Snetterton
Hobby friendly yes
Self select: yes
Home delivery: Don't know
Online ordering: Don't know
Prices visible at the yard: some
Domestic hardwoods yes list the available species if known): I saw Walnut, Beech, Oak, Chestnut
Other hardwoods: yes
Softwoods: yes
Manufactured boards: don't know
Turning blanks yes
Size of shop: medium
Cut lengths for car transport: I don't know as I didn't need to but they were really helpful so I imagine so.

Notes (include links to other threads on UKW about the vendor): Helpful guys, good prices.

https://www.frank-aldridgeandsons.co.uk/

I do get the feeling that some of these suppliers look at hobbyist with disgust. What you only need 5 board feet. We thought you wanted 500, go away child.
And there is most definitely a north south divide.

Region: DEVON
Vendor name: THE HILLYFIELD
Town/City: Near Rattery (just off A38)
Hobby friendly (yes or no): YES
Self select: By Arrangement
Home delivery (yes or no): By Arrangement
Online ordering (yes or no): Email
Prices visible at the yard (yes or no): Talking to Doug
Domestic hardwoods (yes or no, or list the available species if known): Yes. 99% homegrown timber. Ash. Sycamore. Beech. Occasional other bits. Yew, Elm, Cherry
Other hardwoods (yes or no, or list the available species if known): No
Softwoods (yes or no, or list the available species if known): Yes. Larch. Douglas. Hemlock
Manufactured boards (yes or no): No.
Turning blanks (yes or no): Possibly
Size of shop (small, medium, large, one person, etc.): Small Woodland
Cut lengths for car transport (yes or no): Yes
Notes (include links to other threads on UKW about the vendor): www.thehillyfield.co.uk

Integrate Woodhouse Recycling Project. Preston, Lancashire
Recycling lots of surplus timber from construction sites and giving work experience, training and employment to adults with learning disabilities.

Garstang Timber, Garstang, Lancashire. Part of Haldane-Fisher group now but has a wide range of timber sizes beyond what most places stock

Spotted this thread, and wondered if anyone knew of a timber supplier based in Lancashire who can supply slabs? Long story, but I bought a cherry wood live edge slab whilst visiting our son in the USA last year - the saw mill cut the slab into 4 pieces to go in suitcases (my wife was naturally delighted 🤪) and I've made kitchen chopping boards for friends and family. Now, I have been asked to make some more.... We will be back in the USA in June so I could get some more, I'm sure, but if there was a more local supplier of some beech, birch or oak slabs , I'd love to hear about them!

Depends what you mean by slabs really, bark on both edges? Not exactly round the corner I’m afraid Sommerscales in Keelby North Lincolnshire, might be worth a call.
Ian

A1AA2CF0-4C8B-4B1B-97A1-4C2605D19F4F.jpeg

Spotted this thread, and wondered if anyone knew of a timber supplier based in Lancashire who can supply slabs? Long story, but I bought a cherry wood live edge slab whilst visiting our son in the USA last year - the saw mill cut the slab into 4 pieces to go in suitcases (my wife was naturally delighted 🤪) and I've made kitchen chopping boards for friends and family. Now, I have been asked to make some more.... We will be back in the USA in June so I could get some more, I'm sure, but if there was a more local supplier of some beech, birch or oak slabs , I'd love to hear about them!
Not sure if there is anyone closer, but British Hardwoods nr Skipton are about an hour from you. They have plenty. Closer than the USA :)

Have a chat with Keith Irwin of Treecycle…based in Ormskirk area - great guy would can mill to the thickness you need too.

Latest posts

Back