Uffa Fox at Cowes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seascaper

Established Member
Reaction score
An impressive display of very fine woodwork is on display on Cowes waterfront well worth a look, all the boats are Uffa Fox designs, about 40/50 boats, all wooden, seen yesterday.
574BCB35-135B-445C-85F1-1BDC0375433F.jpeg
93A2ABF7-F4D9-47F3-B0A0-87062EE2AABF.jpeg

Wood and brass make a wonderful combination. Looking at the splits in the masts I was told once that they have to be one piece of timber due to regs. Laminated masts are not allowed. Am I wrong ?

Wood and brass make a wonderful combination. Looking at the splits in the masts I was told once that they have to be one piece of timber due to regs. Laminated masts are not allowed. Am I wrong ?
One of these shots show a bamboo mast and back at his house he had some spares
412377D7-FB51-480C-918B-1BF7A72FB33E.jpeg

Last edited:
Never mind the rain, lookat the Varnishing, how many coats to achieve that finish?

Bod

You start getting near it with 4 or 5 coats, the trick is to get the first 3 on then leave it to dry for at least a week or two before flatting it off with wet & dry & then more coats. Some will put 10 coats on.
Good oil based varnish like Epifanes (my favorite) or Le Tonkinous is essential.

Lovely to see so much craftsmanship.
If you really want to "blow your mind" just google up the building of Bluenose 2
There are u tube videos of the complete build.
The history of the original Bluenose is really interesting.
Whilst I don't totally agree with some of the methods used in building Bluenose 2, still an amazing construction.
I have the plans ( from Canada ) to build a model - about 4 feet long, but I am not sure I have enough time to complete that build.

Latest posts

Back