Ubuntu

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder to Ubuntu users that that 15.04 is officially released today.

I've upgraded from 14.10 - no problems.

I am still trying to get ubuntu 14.04 to run :( whats the deal with scanners, worked fine in 10.04,

I went off Ubuntu when they switched to the Unity desktop.Been using Linux Mint ever since and the printer and scanner just work without specific drivers.Even better.version 17 is LTS so no need to change for a few years.

I've had no problems with Ubuntu and I've gone through the releases for the past many years- everything just works straight out of the box including 2 scanners and 2 printers. I've also had the LTS versions.

worn thumbs":3km54hgl said:
I went off Ubuntu when they switched to the Unity desktop.Been using Linux Mint ever since and the printer and scanner just work without specific drivers.Even better.version 17 is LTS so no need to change for a few years.

Unity is a steaming pile of ***!

I'm still using 11.04 Natty with the classic Gnome desktop on my netbook.

Honestly Unity really isn't that bad. You can go up to 12.04 and still get Gnome classic. So at least you're on an LTS version then. No need to stick with 11.04.

The first version of Unity wasn't amazing, I'll admit, but it's gotten a lot better. I used to use it daily as we ran Ubuntu desktops at work, so I wanted to be able to support my users.

I've been using ubuntu with GnomeShell for the desktop for ages now - It's well worth a go - I just like how it gets out of the way.

defsdoor":p1tsqoot said:
I've been using ubuntu with GnomeShell for the desktop for ages now - It's well worth a go - I just like how it gets out of the way.

Maybe I will, as I like the way Ubuntu touch people are talking. Run Ubuntu on a mobile phone in mobile mode and link it to a monitor and keyboard to run it as a full desktop. That way you can carry your desktop in your pocket, and still use it on the go. They are not there yet, but what they have relies on Ubuntu tooling (fair enough). So familiarity with some flavour of Ubuntu would be good.

I tried Ubuntu, but did not like the desktop and reverted to Mint.

Do you have any resources to describe how to graft Gnome Shell (or better still, Mate) onto Ubuntu?

Phill

defsdoor":mbvvmjpm said:
Just apt-get install gnome-shell (or use the package manager) and then choose Gnome for the desktop at the login screen.

Thanks, sounds simple. I will try that later (on a fresh Ubuntu install) as an experiment.

Phill

DrPhill":5dpl1j8s said:
Do you have any resources to describe how to graft Gnome Shell (or better still, Mate) onto Ubuntu?

Phill

Why not just go to https://ubuntu-mate.org/ ? You can download the distro and install it in the knowledge that it will work.Its not too hard to download an .iso and burn it to a DVD which you can run "live" to see if you like it and then install it if you get on well.If you go to www.distrowatch.com there are links to several other varieties of ubuntu as the last few days have seen a flood of new releases.

worn thumbs":yln0u6c7 said:

Why not just go to https://ubuntu-mate.org/ ? You can download the distro and install it in the knowledge that it will work.Its not too hard to download an .iso and burn it to a DVD which you can run "live" to see if you like it and then install it if you get on well.If you go to http://www.distrowatch.com there are links to several other varieties of ubuntu as the last few days have seen a flood of new releases.

Good idea. I have been playing with the Gnome desktop. I can see things that I like about it - more so than unity, but I might give the Ubuntu-Mate a try tomorrow. I have burnt plenty of ISOs now, generally to a usb stick, it is getting to be second nature.

It would be lovely if I could easily use a partition on the hard drive as a boot/installer. That would save burning to usb.

Thanks for the pointer. I have relatively narrow experience of the Linux world and the possibilities available.

Been using xubuntu here for a while (14.4) with no problems.

I've put the money I'd usually pay to Microsoft for a new OS towards a dev/test server (total cost 200 all-in), and I try out before loading onto my desktop.

I have two niggles:

1. the Wacom tablet driver is good, but not very well documented. I have to run two scripts post-login to get the config I like, and occasionally, for no obvious reason the driver 'forgets', needing the scripts to be run again. It's annoying but not disasterous.

2. I use an AMD dual DVI card on the main machine - an office-user type rather than a gaming card (don't play video games on it). I downloaded AMD's 'accelerated' driver, but it is VERY slow and clunky with full screen video streams. It wasn't so under XP. It does let me run Sketchup 2015 (64-bit under wine) though.

Neither are big issues. It's been very stable so far (since around Nov 2014), but I will test the new release on the dev box before upgrading.

I can't stand the Unity desktop either!

E.

Just installed [and am using] Mint Mate as the default on a duel boot on my 8.1 :-& laptop [after a bit of faffing about due to UEFI]

I had a dabble with Linux a decade or more ago and didn't have the time or will to learn how to use it. I'm glad it's progressed to the stage that it can be easy to use and familiar enough to a Window$ user.

Thanks to this thread for the nudge.

Incidentally, I notice that from Win10 Microsoft 'will no longer require' UEFI to be user configurable, meaning some devices may only be able to run a Microsoft OS. Something to be wary of when making a mobo purchase.

I got new laptop recently, I chose a Lenovo because they have good support for Linux. I was pleased that it had been downgraded from Win 8 to Win 7 and wasn't using Secure boot and UEFI, at least I don't think it is. The installation of Mint was straight forward so I also have a dual boot machine, though I can't see me using Windows much at home.

I've installed Mint using UEFI but with secure boot turned off, it didn't want to play otherwise. Apparently a UEFI machine's rom holds keys to verify the bootloader, and with secure boot turned on if you're not on the list you're not getting in, but machines key lists may vary and mine doesn't like Mint Mate. Even with Linux Micro$oft is involved in dishing the keys out!

Folks,
I have a pretty old laptop running XP, which actually runs pretty well. What is VERY tedious though is the startup - ages and ages doesn't come close.

I think I may have run a trial version of Ubuntu a while back, but am not sure.
I wanted to check with you guys - can I keep my files, bookmarks on Firefox, etc, or will I have to set aside time to note them all down if and when I decided to try Ubuntu?

TIA

Greg

Back