two part epoxy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to fix a wooden chair for a friend. The chair has been abused and some of the leg joints were quite loose and the stretcher is broken. I have taken it apart and made a new stretcher.
When I reassemble it some of the joints will be a bit 'loose' so much so that I think I need a gap filling adhesive.

I was contemplating using two part epoxy like Araldite; I know it will fix where it touches, but is epoxy also a good gap filler? I am pretty sure it is, but I've never used it for that before, so best to check with the highest authorities in the land. If not, any suggestions as to what I could use?

Thanks in anticipation

I have used Gorilla glue in the past and found it very good. It expands to 3 or 4 times it's size so fills small gaps nicely.

I'm talking about the "ordinary" gorilla glue, not the one specifically for wood, I've never used that.

Gorilla glue foams up, and foam has no strength.
Best if you shim the joints will veneer etc to make them tight and re-glue.

Pete

I've just carried out repairs to a dining chair for a friend who wanted me to use epoxy. I refused to use epoxy on the grounds that if further failure were to occur then the chair would basically be destroyed as the epoxy would mean the wood around it would 'shatter'.

I used cascamite on the basis that any future problems would (in theory!) be easier to repair.

Also +1 for shimming rather than gap filling adhesive.

Thanks Fellas, I was hoping that I could get away with a gap filler, but I'll go with shimming/wedging... it was just me wondering if there was s short cut.
Appreciate the input.

Hi,

I don't see why you shouldn't use epoxy, I am currently repairing a wooden aircraft and building another from scratch using epoxy if that demonstrates my own and the authorities faith in it. It has excellent penetration and can be used with fillers where there are (small) voids.

Am not sure what the problem with shattering is, but would like to.

Generally I would avoid the fast setting stuff. I use West Epoxy that is used a lot by boat builders, but that comes in big tins. Similarly, the colloidal silica filler comes in big packs, but if you want to give it a go I can mail you some to mix with Araldite.

Regards,

Colin

colinc":31ihsdat said:
Hi,

I don't see why you shouldn't use epoxy, I am currently repairing a wooden aircraft and building another from scratch using epoxy if that demonstrates my own and the authorities faith in it.
Colin

I used to build model radio control planes years ago and a pal gave me 2 tickets to a model plane show.

On arrival it immediately became clear that the "model planes" were in fact self build proper person carrying jobs! I think I had lockjaw at the end of the show :shock:

Astonishing stuff and much respect to those that build them and fly in them.

But tell me, you do use fixings as well. Please tell me you do?

Hi Geoff,

I still build models, but these two are full sized aircraft and no, there are no fixings except bolts in things like the wing joiner plates or the engine mount. A properly designed glue joint is more than adequate. The big problem with old airframes is that a lot were built with Casein glue which gets a fungal growth and breaks down if it is kept damp. Modern glues like Aerodux, Aerolite and Epoxy have greater longevity.

Colin

If you go down the Gorilla Glue road make sure you wear gloves. It's a nightmare to get off your hands.

Back