Tv amplifier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Hi experts. I'm moving into another property and the amp in the pic is there, along with a twin feed coax from, I think, a satellite dish. I presume this amp is analogue and feeding a number of televisions. Am I correct?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 968
UHF would imply it's not satellite, it's just a standard aerial feed. The amp is just a signal booster, I'm assuming you're in a poor location for reception.

I presume this amp is analogue and feeding a number of televisions. Am I correct?

its a bi directional distribution amp

From Wolsey (may be this one)

The Wolsey 4 Way Distribution Amp boosts the satellite signal in areas of poor reception, improving sound and picture quality. Distributes Sky to 2 TVs in the home without any noticeable signal degradation. Lightweight compact design - can be powered either from RF2 digibox output or separate 9V DC power supply, making it ideal for placement in lofts Individual short circuit protection - should a short circuit occur on one port, individual short circuit protection will continue to operate the other ports & will not shut down the whole amplifier Integrated digital bypass - ready for use with the SKY, digieye extender feature, allowing the digibox to be controlled from a second location Double insulated safety certificated to the latest BS and CE standards (EN5008-1, EN50082-1, EN50083-2 & EN61000-3-2/-3) Class-leading noise figures of 5dB for minimal interference Full instructions This unit has F type connections. 12 months full guarantee.

tis a standard Arial amp. not always used because of poor signal though. In this case its likely used because an inductive splitter would not provide adequate signal to all 3 TV's

DaveyP":2zqgon3x said:
I presume this amp is analogue and feeding a number of televisions. Am I correct?

its a bi directional distribution amp

How can an amp be bidirectional?
One direction - Input to Output surely?

Nick Welford: you are correct.

It is splitting the signal from the UHF (Freeview) TV aerial to three TV sockets. It has capacity to supply a fourth socket, and it can also combine the signal from a VHF radio aerial (i.e. FM) into the same downlead system, so you can choose to plug in either a TV or a radio tuner at one of the outlets.

It's there for two possible reasons (not mutually exclusive):

1. The received signal is poor for some reason. This will boost it, usually by 6dB or 12dB (often internally selectable). That's usually enough to get tellys working properly, and it's a bit less critical now we have digital telly (signal quality is more important than signal strength ("loudness").

2. It buffers the separate outputs from each other (or it should!). Signal strength and quality shouldn't be affected by how many of the TV sockets are being used. If it was simply a resistive or inductive splitter, plugging in or disconnecting one TV would affect the others to some extent.

I'm with pcb1962: I don't understand the term "bi-directional" in this context - at best rather misleading. It's just possible it is capable of supplying 12VDC up the UHF aerial input lead (thus "bi-directioal" in an odd sense), which would be used to power a small pre-amp up on the aerial itself (or very close to it). These are needed mainly to improve signal quality in poor reception conditions.

I have a very similar Labgear one (two in eight out).

More modern ones will let you combine signals from a number of different sources - satellite, UHF (Freeview Digital TV), a DAB radio loft aerial and VHF (FM Radio). The UHF-VHF combiner idea (AKA "multiplexer"), like yours is tried and tested over decades.

Although I have one of the more modern ones that supposedly does the whole lot, I've no idea if it actually works well - satellite signals are tiny and pose their own special problems.

If your new property is a flat and that amp is feeding other flats, it really ought to be in a communal part of the property - if you turn it off you'll annoy at least two neighbours! It may just be fdoing outlets in three rooms, but it's unusual to find it 'on display' like that - they normally live in cupboards out of the way (mine is in the attic) - that one looks a bit untidy and either DIY or done by a white van bodger (from the Freeview bubble).

If you only have one TV, and it's in the same room, AND the amp is doing nothing else you need, you can probably remove it altogether and connect the aerial lead straight to your TV (you may need an adaptor, but they're easily had from Maplins and even Toolstation/Screwfix). The signal level will be slightly lower, but that may not matter, depending on local conditions. If it's a nuisance where it is, don't be afraid to try removing it - you can do no harm (but label the cables beforehand, just in case!).

E.

From doing a bit of Googling (I don't have Sky) this kit will allow Sky TV to be distributed around the house (along with Freeview and/or radio from a conventional antenna). The the bi-directional bit is to allow a "Sky eye" type of IR receiver device to transmit handset commands back from a remote telly, via the amp, to the Sky box to change channels. The amp can take its 9V power supply from the Sky box, obviating a wall-wart in the loft. Cheers, W2S

Woody2Shoes":zkjzeudr said:
From doing a bit of Googling (I don't have Sky) this kit will allow Sky TV to be distributed around the house (along with Freeview and/or radio from a conventional antenna). The the bi-directional bit is to allow a "Sky eye" type of IR receiver device to transmit handset commands back from a remote telly, via the amp, to the Sky box to change channels. The amp can take its 9V power supply from the Sky box, obviating a wall-wart in the loft. Cheers, W2S

the amp will only allow the rf output of a sky box to be distributed around the house, ie all tvs can see the same picture, it will not allow the distribution of the sky satelitte signal to multiple sky boxes

Back