turning for beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
Got gifted a lathe so now a learning curve. What videos/ books recommended for watching for complete novice. Also what turning chisels will I need for startup. I do not want to spend a lot of money initially on chisels incase I cannot master it. I do not mind buying an expensive set if I get proficient

I’m a couple weeks into wood turning from novice. There is a wealth of info on YouTube which really helped me. ‘The welsh woodsman’ on YouTube caters for the complete novice and goes through things at a nice pace and explains everything brilliantly. I’m now getting ok and confident of what I’m doing-you will surprise yourself how quickly you’ll pick it up. I was lucky enough to buy my lathe with lots of chisels thrown in with it. Mostly use the the roughing gouge, bowl gouges, spindle gouge and parting tool. I’m sure more experienced members on here will point you in the right direction. Don’t forget to wear safety glasses and dust mask as a minimum when turning......and most of all, have fun and learn from your mistakes, it ain’t rocket science👍 Best of luck fella!

Im pretty much in the same boat, though I've had a lathe for years.Apparently its all about technique, and a book was helpful for me, but in conjunction with you tube vids. Book tells you how to hold, and how to manipulate it in use, but you tube shows that in the practical sense.

Hello all, I’m in the same boat so to speak, new to woodturning but lucky to have experience in metal lathes but appreciate that they can be worlds apart.
Anyway, I am finding the same as Blister, people give differing advice for the same operation and tool use, very confusing.
But as Chris says, it surprising how quick you pick it up.
Good luck islayhawk.
Pete

Another vote for Keith Rowleys book, it’s excellent.

As has been said be wary of You Tube there’s some down right dangerous turning videos, personally I’d recommend looking up Richard Findley on Instagram & look through his feed he has done some really good short videos aimed at the beginner & is generally very helpful when asked questions, we’ll worth a look.

And join a club, and if poss, get at LEAST a day's lesson from a quality tutor - saves HOURS of frustration
Just my opinion, some prefer to patiently learn through own mistakes. I'm to impatient!

I'm a novice at that wood turning as well .
I just watch a bit of you tube and have a go .
Sharp tools seem to be key , I've tried following the internet instructions to the letter and seem to get better results by trial and error using the "proper" angles as a starting point .
Also getting a good hold on what your turning .
And wear a full face safety mask . It'll give you more protection than your best safety squint !

Lots of great advice on here. I would also recommend Keith Rowleys book, but would add the late, much lamented, Mark Baker’s book ‘Woodturning - A Craftsman’s Guide.’ I think it is out of print, but you could still get a used copy for a reasonable price.
As for videos on YouTube, I would recommend Mike Waldt’s . He has a good ‘beginners series’ covering the basic tools and their use. Martin Saban-Smith’s videos are also very good. He started them when he, himself, was starting out as a turner, so he has been able to experience the pitfalls of turning, and pass on valuable advice as how to avoid them.
I also think it’s a good idea to join a local club. You can get good advice from experienced turners, both about the craft and about the kit you need (and don’t need).
Good luck.
D.

Last edited:
Back