turning clubs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,I live in North Dorset but work in North Herts, so turning time is very limited, does anybody know of a midweek club in the Stevenage area.
Have enjoyed looking at all of your work on here, will try to post some photo`s at the w/end of the few bits I have done so far, mostly pens!,not more pens I hear you cry,a couple of bowls and a few spindles just for practice.

T.I.A.

HI

The nearest one I know to Stevenage is at Hemel Hempstead. Details below from the AWGB site.

HERTS & BEDS
Secretary: Mike Sheaf, Bedfordshire
Telephone: 01582 736382
Meetings: Second Tuesday of each month Time: 7.30 pm
Venue: Adeyfield Community Centre, Queen's Square, Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead

john

It all depends on the club. Some are more social clubs for people who happen to turn. Some are based around hands-on, some are just about demo's. Ours is a good even mix of them all. It's worth trying a couple if you have the opportunity, to see how they differ.

It seems my jest missed the mark.

"turning clubs" - Indian clubs - the things you swing for exersise or hit people with. Hope that clarifies.

Richard

It's o.k. Richard i knew what you meant :lol: ,
I also thought that when reading the topic heading. :wink:

wizer":27vhguyb said:
http://www.woodturners.co.uk/branches.htm

The map on there only shows AWGB affiliated clubs and so may miss something in the required area (eg. it does not have the 3 clubs that are within 10 miles of my house).

I don't of any other list of clubs other than the diary dates on the magazine site

Duncan

Thanks for all the replys chaps,most helpful.Its turning time and guidance that I need,so may look for some courses within a reasonable distance of my week day lodgings, and if I can convince the family maybe saturday mornings in Dorset. Once again thanks

thomvic":12jepkzp said:
Nothing wrong with turning clubs either either if that's what you want to do! :p

the bigest problem with turning clubs is that a shilleagh type is far more effective but cant be turned - that falls into the realms of green woodwork :p

duncanh":ygao4x42 said:
wizer":ygao4x42 said:
http://www.woodturners.co.uk/branches.htm

The map on there only shows AWGB affiliated clubs and so may miss something in the required area (eg. it does not have the 3 clubs that are within 10 miles of my house).

I don't of any other list of clubs other than the diary dates on the magazine site

Duncan

Thanks for posting that Duncan. I see that Les Thorne is at GoE in 2 weeks. Any locals fancy it? £11, I think, for the day.

Back