Turning basic chair legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Hi guys. I want to turn some very basic tapered chair legs (a la mid-century Danish furniture) and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of YouTube videos or other tutorials. So far I haven’t found anything that quite fits the bill and I’m not sure where to start.

NOTE: I’ve never turned anything before but I picked up a small record lathe and some used tools on the cheap a while back in the event I ever want to learn.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

I'll second the vote for the Keith Rowley book. It's fantastic.

Apart from that, just practice. Get some cheap 2x4 softwood, rip it down the middle and try to make some. You'll be amazed how quickly you get the hang of it.

One thing I found useful (and still do occasionally when the gouge fairies aren't smiling on me) is wrapping a piece of 60 grit sandpaper round a long, flat piece of wood and using that to refine any straight tapers you have. I know that some people will be shouting at their screens in disgust right now, but if it helps you get a finished piece...

finneyb":gkhawxos said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPprpxMoxV4 search for spindle turning beginners

HTH

Brian

This is a great video, thank you! Just what I was looking for.

I'll second the vote for the Keith Rowley book. It's fantastic.

Apart from that, just practice. Get some cheap 2x4 softwood, rip it down the middle and try to make some. You'll be amazed how quickly you get the hang of it.

One thing I found useful (and still do occasionally when the gouge fairies aren't smiling on me) is wrapping a piece of 60 grit sandpaper round a long, flat piece of wood and using that to refine any straight tapers you have. I know that some people will be shouting at their screens in disgust right now, but if it helps you get a finished piece...

Thanks Ro. Incidentally it's the legs for the Roman Workbench I'm going to try and turn. I messed around on some scrap this evening and you're right, progress does feel quite quick. What's really cool about it is how quickly you get to see results and how fast everything is.

El Barto":3jv8pflw said:
Thanks Ro. Incidentally it's the legs for the Roman Workbench I'm going to try and turn. I messed around on some scrap this evening and you're right, progress does feel quite quick. What's really cool about it is how quickly you get to see results and how fast everything is.
Cool, let me know how you get on.

When I made mine I couldn't find an auger bit in the size that was recommended. I ended up using https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-1050...d=1510332730&sr=1-1&keywords=Irwin+auger+40mm. It worked perfectly in a brace or cordless and the tenons are more than strong enough.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding the construction.

ro":2ypd4a8i said:
El Barto":2ypd4a8i said:
Cool, let me know how you get on.

When I made mine I couldn't find an auger bit in the size that was recommended. I ended up using https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-1050...d=1510332730&sr=1-1&keywords=Irwin+auger+40mm. It worked perfectly in a brace or cordless and the tenons are more than strong enough.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding the construction.

Thanks Ro. Appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back