Turned lampshade fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure most people will have seen the video of the lamp shade being turned. I've always dismissed it as a waste of wood as end grain coring is apparently difficult so most of it will go to waste. However, I've just helped cut down some large aspen and willow and side branch free and very pale I figured I'd give a lamp shade a go. Given the speed at which aspen grows I'm expecting the timber to be fairly weak so hopefully light weight so this could be the perfect project. The willow should be the same as I used some last week and it was very easy to work.

One thing before I start - any suggestion on where to get a pre made fitting that's going to be reasonably strong to support this from below? Most bought lamp shades are fabric and very light but I'm guessing a wooden one will be heavier, making re-use of the metal support from a fabric one unwise. I think Soren Berger (the guy in the video) makes his own.

EDIT: I probably should have said - I'm thinking somewhere between 30cm and 40cm diameter and maybe 30cm deep

Lamp shades are something I looked at before, when I was trying to turn hats and screwed them up. I'll leave the hats to the experts until I get better at easier stuff I think. :oops:
I was looking at this site at the time. May well be worth a try.

Back