Turned box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just completed this turned box it measures 7" long X 3 1/4" wide and stands 7 3/4" tall. The main body is turned from Ash, the box is Sapele and the finial is holly stained black.

DSCF4888_zpsunyopysm.jpg

DSCF4889_zpswuytjxdm.jpg

DSCF4886_zpsc3f2ps3y.jpg

DSCF4887_zpsqnmuvl4p.jpg

A nice elegant design and it looks beautifully crafted to your usual high standard.
For me, I find the figuring in the ash distracts from the quality of the form itself though.

The colour balance on the photo doesn't help either, I trust the background should be white ?

Rhossydd":r5do6tyj said:
A nice elegant design and it looks beautifully crafted to your usual high standard.
For me, I find the figuring in the ash distracts from the quality of the form itself though.

The colour balance on the photo doesn't help either, I trust the background should be white ?

Thank you. Yes the photo is not the best should have taken it earlier in the day as I took this one late

Dalboy":2efnmn5f said:
Yes the photo is not the best should have taken it earlier in the day as I took this one late
Sure, but your work is too good not to do it justice with poor photos. Just a simple colour balance adjustment makes it look so much better;
box (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• box (1 of 1).jpg
    box (1 of 1).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,362
I use Adobe Lightroom, but any image editor should help you correct colour balance. Even Google's free program Picassa does a reasonable job without needing too much learning.

I'd also suggest trying the auto colour balance setting when shooting to get the colours right when you've so much white for the camera to reference to.

Interesting slide show.
I'd, wrongly, assumed you'd made a hollow vessel and cut the sides off, rather than turn the base from a smaller block. A far more efficient method, of course, if one has the skill to do it, as you have.
How did you handle sanding the inside surface of the base ?

Rhossydd":2hds7pc3 said:
Interesting slide show.
I'd, wrongly, assumed you'd made a hollow vessel and cut the sides off, rather than turn the base from a smaller block. A far more efficient method, of course, if one has the skill to do it, as you have.
How did you handle sanding the inside surface of the base ?

I used a small tear drop scraper on the crown tool and got a good surface on the inside which made it easier to hand sand in this photo you can see what it was like prior to taking off a little more and using the scraper. As you know the better the finish off the tool the less sanding is needed.

DSCF4822_zpsxixxmvwy.jpg

nice work
interesting to note it is quite the reverse of this one in some ways

IMO - you have a bit of free space below your box in the ring thats crying to be filled

Latest posts

Back