inexpensive 3/8" brad point long

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty locating an inexpensive 3/8" lip and spur bit, I only need to drill 2 holes. Searching from Italy produces mainly American hits.
drilling through 5" of sapele and ash

You could see if these guys will send you a set. BRAD POINT DRILL SET 7PC EXTRA LONG

One option is to drill with a regular brad point bit and then switch to a long 118º twist bit to finish the hole.

Another option is to locate a long twist drill and re-profile the tip to a brad point.

What precludes you from drilling entirely with a twist drill?

Pete

You could see if these guys will send you a set. BRAD POINT DRILL SET 7PC EXTRA LONG

One option is to drill with a regular brad point bit and then switch to a long 118º twist bit to finish the hole.

Another option is to locate a long twist drill and re-profile the tip to a brad point.

What precludes you from drilling entirely with a twist drill?

Pete
Nothing really, but living in Italy a long pattern twist drill would be just as difficult to find. The hole will take a metal pin which will act as a pivot for crisscross for a vise so it needs to be accurate.

Thanks. My problem is that I need a 2 1/2", 3/4", 1 1/8", 3/8" and 1 3/4", and possibly others that I don't remember to fit the hardware. The 3/8" at $20 is relatively inexpensive, add in all the other Forstner bits and the tools start costing more than the hardware and will, in all probability, never be used again. Hence the request for inexpensive bits.

I use mine in a press. If you need a 5" hole and are really concerned with accuracy you could always start the hole witha more rigid bit then do the deep drilling with an auger. If not drilling over the hole in the table ensure you have a packing piece under the item being drilled.

Its fairly easy to grind a regular twist drill to convert it to a lip and spur bit, sounds daunting untill you take a shop built L&S and hold it up to your stationary grindstone and you can see that its a fairly simple process,
Steve.

What about one of those Japanese expanding adjustable bits, like a forstner bit with a sort of sliding knife. As you are in the EU try Dieter Schmidt or Dictum in Germany.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back