Tumblr (Blogging)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know how many, if any, of you are using Tumblr as a blogging site? I've only just recently discovered it and it seems quite good. It enables people to follow each other's blogs so that you get updates whenever you log in. It's a bit like Twitter in that you can hash tag things. Anyway, don't know if any of you are interested in joining it and creating your own blogs, it might be fun! It's quite easy to use and there is plenty of help in there too. You can add photos and videos very easily. Wadda you say?!! :D

What is 'blogging'?

Heard 'blog' mentioned on the radio but never know what they're on about.

Roy

doorframe":vsycp2bg said:
What is 'blogging'?

Roy

Hi Roy
It's basically short for "web log", which is a website tailored simply for a user to just add info about a particular subject (it could be anything), so instead of learning how to write websites from scratch using HTML language, you can easily edit the blog with just a few button presses within the blog site. The idea is that the blog is like a diary, so you add something to the blog and it issues the date when this was added, it might be just some text, or a photo or a video, etc. If you click on my Tumblr link below then you will see the few photos I have added today. If you go to the Tumblr site you will see other people's blogs. But Tumblr isn't just a passive blog site, it is a socially networked blogging site, so each of us can interact on each others blogs etc. If you've got a smartphone you can download a Tumblr App and when you take a photo in your workshop on your phone you can immediately upload it to your Tumblr blog for your "followers" to see and comment.

Hope this helps?
Steve

doorframe":33tr4n6a said:
What is 'blogging'?

Roy

Like an online diary (with photos, links to other sites, etc.) that the world and his\her dog can read.

Dibs

Orcamesh":3dpw6fuz said:
The idea is that the blog is like a diary

Steve, I always thought a 'diary' was meant to be personal and not something that the whole world can see :lol:

I'm a bit clearer on what 'blogs' are now thanks to your explanation but I have to say that it sounds like yet another way to spend time which I don't have, there's only 24 hours in the day and I am already struggling to do everything I want to do in those hours without reading other peoples 'diaries'

I have noticed that a lot of the media people have a 'Twitter' account but who would want to read the egotistic thoughts of these media people and many of them seem desperate for you to log into their accounts, one was even pleading with me to look at his account recently and I get the feeling that it's all to boost his chances of staying in his job :lol:

I like UKW and one other forum that I use because I can log in once or twice a week and just 'catch up' and any other of these social network sites is just too much for me, still thanks for invite.

A blog is your drivil that is put on the www via a blog site for the whole world and it's wife to see. Most of the one's have see...christ people need to get a life or something, because it is really, really a load of b00000ks!!!!!!!!

My two penny worth

Richard

Losos, yes a 20th century (and prior to that) diary is meant to be personal, but this is not a diary but like a diary, it's a blog! :roll:

I'm not expecting you all to jump on the bandwagon, I realise it is not to everyone's tastes or that you may not have time for them, but there might be some peeps out there who think this is useful. Of course, it depends on each blog, as they are all different and all have different qualities.

For me Tumblr is a lot easier than editing my website as I can do it from my smartphone. It literally takes seconds to upload a photo or write a comment. So if I'm in my workshop and doing something & then take a photo, I can then upload it immediately and share it with people who are interested. As Tumblr is used by people who want to follow certain blogs then I guess the stuff which is shared is of interest to them. You wouldn't follow a blog which is of no interest to you.

Look, we are all different (obviously), and all different ages and stages, so it is quite likely that many will not be interested in this at all. But I'm just trying to promote this to people who might be interested...

I do not like them!!

Anything that you have to start at the bottom and work upwards has got to be flawed. If there is a large entry, photos and text for instance, and you have to scroll down it when you have finished and want the next entry you then have to scroll up to the beginning of said next and then scroll down yet again.

It does e 'ead in (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

As for twatter and farce book? No thank you..

Strangely, as someone who in general, abhors 'social media', I have a blog. (how I agree with Jonzjob about those two)

In my situation, its a way of keeping family and friends in the UK up to date with what we are doing. I'm very deaf which means I can't talk to them on the phone but its easy enough just to add a short bit of blurb and some pics to show how my turning/house/life is getting on. I don't however, wish to be in their face 24 hours a day or vici verci, its nice to keep in touch but a sense of balance seems to have been lost somewhere.

I use Blogger and have no need for the more 'interactive' elements mentioned, its just a way of keeping up.

Back