TS200 Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim0

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to click the button on Axminsters web site to buy the TS200. Before I do I want to know a couple of things. Is the blade that comes with it worth keeping, How many teeth does it have and which blade should I replace it with from the Axminster web site? They don't seem to have a lot of choice in that size and seem to offer 2 of their own and 1 CMT which is a chunk more to pay. I know people always tend to say ditch the supplied blade and buy a good one which I am quite happy to do but if I am being asked to pay £30 more for a CMT over an AXCALIBUR blade should I be looking elsewhere????

I can't vouch for the supplied blade but I can offer a selection of handmade Sheffield industrial grade blades here from 20 tooth to 64 tooth. I use Atkinson Walker blades myself and find them smooth running, almost silent and deadly accurate. Plus you can pop them in the post and have them cleaned and re-sharpened to 'as new' perfomance on the same machines that made them for a few quid when the time comes.

Cheaper blades are often cut from hardened gauge plate, these guys start with unhardened steel which they heat treat themsleves in presses so that the crystalline structure of the steel forms flat. The blades are then 'smithed' or tensioned by a qualified sawsmith so they expand in the diameter only, rather than buckling when you heat up the perimiter with friction and cool the centre with airflow.

They also give excellent advice, so if there is anything you want to know or if you want something custom made they can do that too. I'm amazed that we have Sawsmiths in Sheffield still making kit of this quality and it's only the Pro's that really use them.

Thanks for that link. Looks like I shall give them a go. Similar prices to the CMT blade and on sale at the moment too.

While at the NEC woodworking show this year i got speaking to Atkinson Walker and i found out they supply Axminster with there blades. When i got my Axi saw (not the T200) i did the normal and put a CMT thin kerf blade in, Fantastic blade but to thin and deflected when shaving 1-2 mm of the end of the piece so i put the supplied blade back in until i ordered a new one. Not bothered yet, seems to be working just fine!

The cut isn't as nice as the CMT but its good enough to only have to take off 1mm with the planer which i do anyway or a quick blast with some 80 grit and 120 grit.

CMT blades are very good, I have one in my SCMS and it cuts lovely.

Industrial or Pro-Trade?

They do two different qualities, one is disposable ( but very good) and the other is a tool in it's own right.

I decided the original 200mm blade on my TS200 was too small and was giving me only 50mm of 90 degree cut with the crown guard in place.

So I swapped it out for a 220mm 30 tooth Freud Pro LP30M 020, item no. 320610347021 on the bay. This is the one with the anti kick-back humps behind the teeth.

Works brilliant but some riving knife adjustment is needed. I now get a true 60mm cut with the guards in place and about 65mm removed.

HTH,

Steve.

Steve, did it take much adjustment to the riving knife? I am not much good with fiddling about but it would probably annoy me if I can't get the stated depth of cut.

Not really, I just cut about 8-10mm off of the curved edge of the knife and re bevelled the edge. Also a sliver needed taking off a couple of the square washers that hold the knife on. Really obvious what needs to be done when your in there to make the blade not hit anything and a very easy job. I did it with a jigsaw and file.

On my saw I was only getting 55-56mm of full height cut at 90 degrees. Really not good enough for me as I use a sledge with a 6mm base for cross cutting small pieces. So I would only get a 50mm cut using the sledge and original blade!

I am unsure if there is something stopping the blade go to the stated 60mm full height but I can't find anything?

I will post a pic of my new blade as soon as Photobucket stops playing up and let's me up-load some pics!!

Steve.

Well Photobucket had a strop last night but is working now! Here is my 220mm blade as promised...

001-50.jpg

Here you get a better view of the max height, now 66mm...

002-37.jpg

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Hi - the blade supplied with mine was a rip blade with not many teeth

I got an axcaliber one from axi for cross cutting with about 40 teeth that seems quite nice and I'm pretty happy with it

and recently got a freud rip blade from folkestone fixings which I really like - seems much better than the original but then that had done a few nails as I use reclaimed timber and so maybe wasn't quite where it used to be - but others here have said the freud is good I think

my worry was that if you go much past a freud you end up paying considerable fractions of the cost of the saw for the blade - well when I say worry I mean i'm too tight!!

Latest posts

Back