TS electrics overhaul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMUK":g5yhg1is said:
1. There is no domestic hoover to my knowledge that uses cable bigger than 1mm.

2. 1.5mm cable is actually now rated for 16A.

3. Saying that a 13A fuse will 100% protect everything on the load side of it and "it will be impossible to damage" the switch or cable is pure folly. Cartridge fuses are not a 100% fail safe against electrical problems. I've come across numerous applications where a plug top fuse has literally fused in circuit.

Please get your facts 100% right before offering advice on something as potentially dangerous as electricity. :roll:

1. maybe not but no harm in looking at old electrical's to see what size cable can be salvaged

2. Fair enough, even better then

3. What are the chances in reality that a 13A fuse will carry enough current for long enough to start to melt wires and switches?

15amp cable can carry 15amp all day long.... I would expect a decent safety margin on the rating and the rate of failure to be quite higher than the safe rating....

So on the off-chance the 13amp fuse doesnt blow at precisely 13A what is the chances of it carrying more than 16 amps for any length of time....

tool-me-up":2f5d9xbi said:
MMUK":2f5d9xbi said:
1. There is no domestic hoover to my knowledge that uses cable bigger than 1mm.

2. 1.5mm cable is actually now rated for 16A.

3. Saying that a 13A fuse will 100% protect everything on the load side of it and "it will be impossible to damage" the switch or cable is pure folly. Cartridge fuses are not a 100% fail safe against electrical problems. I've come across numerous applications where a plug top fuse has literally fused in circuit.

Please get your facts 100% right before offering advice on something as potentially dangerous as electricity. :roll:

1. maybe not but no harm in looking at old electrical's to see what size cable can be salvaged

2. Fair enough, even better then

3. What are the chances in reality that a 13A fuse will carry enough current for long enough to start to melt wires and switches?

15amp cable can carry 15amp all day long.... I would expect a decent safety margin on the rating and the rate of failure to be quite higher than the safe rating....

So on the off-chance the 13amp fuse doesnt blow at precisely 13A what is the chances of it carrying more than 16 amps for any length of time....

You seem to be over confident that there will never be an occasion when you may get a high surge current shooting down into your machine. 1.5mm cable will carry almost twice it's current rating for about two minutes before starting to melt. This could go unnoticed and cause major harm. I've seen this happen with disasterous and fatal consequences on more than one occasion.

Personally, I try to fit all stationary machinary directly into an independant 30mA RCD. If the table saw is 2kW I'd fit a 16A RCD, a 10A would trip under start up. Portable machinary gets an RCD plug top.

May happen on occasion but this is what the 13A fuse is supposed to take care of chances of both the surge AND the fuse not blowing is highly un-likely in my opinion.

Thats if the main supply RCD is not triggered by such a surge in the first place.

The same theory can be said for everything with a high wattage in your house, washing machine, power tools, yet no-one makes sure they are all plugged into their own RCD as they rely on the RCD from the supply to take care of any earthing faults and the fuse in the plug to take care of overload.

An anti-surge extension lead would do the same job....

Granted a seperate RCD is a lot safer, and just for peace of mind even a plug type fitting would provide and extra level of protection.
such as these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL ... tAod_TIAvg

If you trust a 13A amp fuse to do its job in your washing machine, 2000W router, high power microwave etc etc why not trust it in a table saw?

Just seems a bit overkill that you are stating I have my facts wrong.

Im not arguing and saying you are wrong, because your not, yes on occasion a 13A fuse does not burn out when it is meant to, but it could happen on any appliance not just an old table saw.....

and just for the record an RCD does not protect against overload or surges, even with an rcd in place you would still be relying on the fuse to stop overloading or surging.

Latest posts

Back