Trying to match window profile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I just made a new hinged casement window to replace one with a very rotten bottom rail. It looks pretty good, but isn't an exact match. I now need to make a few repairs to some other fixed windows in another room, and I would dearly love to be able to match the existing profile so that I can splice some new timber in to the existing frame. The house is 1894 vintage, and I believe the profile is a victorian ovolo, but looking at planes on eBay, some of them say 1" or 5/8" etc., and I don't know what dimension this measurement relates to. I don't really want to buy every sash plane on eBay until I find the right one...

Any help or advice welcome.

The common sizes for this period are 5/8" or 9/16". this relates to how far the mould is cut onto the edge of the sash. the depth is usually between 14" or 5 1/16". If you could do a drawing I am sure I can find something to match in my stock. Just make a donation to our up coming open day for Macmillan cancer support and I will post it on to you. Cheers, Richard

Here is a sketch. The quirks are guesswork, as there's a fair amount of paint.

John

I've just re-read your post, and re-measured, and I think it could be 5/8" by 5/16", if that's a standard size.

Attachments

• ovolo.jpg
    ovolo.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 91
Sash planes were a basic formal shape that varied in detail between manufacturers, often coming in pairs..... a first and second cut.

If you only have a few short pieces to do, you may consider keeping it simple by removing the excess paint on a sound section, drawing the profile to make a template and then cutting the new profile free-hand. Use a plough plane to form the shape and depth the refining the curve with a hollow plane. Hollows are plentiful and cheap and I would estimate that a No 4 or 6 would do the trick giving the curve needed.

Just a thought, so hope that it goes well.

The Wealdensash ovolo cutter (T1360) may suit.

Your 16mm measurement, less the 4mm quirk, equates to the cutter's length 'B' of 12mm. Similarly, the 9mm measurement, less the 3mm quirk equals the 6mm of dimension 'G'. The quirks are flexible with the cutter (just remove the bearing).

As it happens I have just cut a load of ovolos with that very cutter (1/2" version), so if you want to borrow it - whether to test for size before buying, or to use, you'd be welcome - just PM.

The 4mm quirk is included in that 16mm dimension. My mistake, I could have made that clearer.
I think I already have the Wealden cutter you link to, but I'll have to go out to the shed and check the number in the morning.

John

Mike.S

I was wrong...
I have the 1391/1396 pair
and the 1352/1357 pair

all 1/2"

Which, incidentally, you are welcome to borrow if you need to.

I will check out the measurements of the 1360 later.

Thanks,

John

John Brown":9ajgd1qk said:
@Argus and AndyT: You seriously overestimate my skill-set, not to mention my toolset!

@Richard: Any luck with the sash planes?
Hi John.
I had a look in the workshop today and found a 5/8 ovolo that is a good user if it helps. Cheers Richard

Latest posts

Back