Trying out the new Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the elm bowl looks great Dave it could have benefitted from a foot though to lift it of the table/shelf etc
the thin ring of wood left from holding the ash in expansion was always going to be weak- maybe next time in these case's try forming a male spigot and gripping in contraction.
great progress :)
best wish's
george

The Elm bowl looks well finished Dave, as George says a little foot or the impression of a foot would lift it a little, if you don't have enough depth in the main piece another time consider attaching a slim disc foot out of matching or complimentary wood. Only a narrow edge will be visible so matching/highlighting not too much of a trauma.

You will soon need to return to the flat world and start some inventive shelf positioning.

oldsoke":bj9kf13g said:
Eggs.... boil one, let it cool, touch it, feel it.....replicate it, eat the original ........but only if it matches :p (if you find you've just tried to eat the wooden one then give ourself a pat on the back :!:
Nice idea but the LOML is allergic to eggs so they are very rarely in our house.
Why isn't the parting tool in the round? (ideal opportunity to try 'split' turning)
Well it was modelled on the ones with a flat handle but I might try split turning one.
You've had some valuable 'hands on' time......
Stop turning and go back to looking and touching .... then turn something you'd be proud of ......
I am very pleased with the elm bowl and look forward to the next one with improvements as suggested. 8)

The lathe seems to be working fine Dave and producing some nice looking pieces :D
I also like the Elm piece,nice clean shape and i like the grain effect on the top rim :D

Hi Dave,

You should be pleased with the Elm bowl. Elm can be a right B**ch to turn and get a good finish on at times and you certainly do seem to have an excellent finish on it!!!

As already stated I would be tempted to put a small foot on it, but I do have a fondness for feet on bowls, this would have the effect of lifting it up off of the table. At the minute (and this is being really picky) it looks a little heavy so a foot would help no end. Alternatively, taking a litle extra wood away from the bottom corner would have a similar effect. Really good work though. Well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

As you know I'm also a fan of spigots over recesses. You just get a more positive hold. Keep playing though Dave!!!!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard Findley":2b9jdgnm said:
At the minute (and this is being really picky) it looks a little heavy so a foot would help no end.
Richard,
I turned the elm with a spigot and used the mdf disc on a face plate with router mate to turn it off. :oops: When I turned it I thought it looked thin enough but I agree now looking at it it could have gone a bit thinner, more practise required, as always. :D :wink:
I am still looking for a nice blank to have a go at another goblet, stay tuned. :whistle:

Latest posts

Back