Trunk building - advice wanted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galleywood

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to construct a trunk(s) that will be used to store the framework of a trade exhibition stand and be transported to and from the show stand site.
The frame components are straight aluminium extrusions - (12) off 2500 x 120 x 20 and (4) off 1000 x 120 x20 - with a total weight of approx. 60kg.
My first thoughts are for a softwood frame, faced with plywood, with braked castors, lifting handles and a removable towing/steering handle.
I am looking for suggestions for the consruction of the frame joints that are within my capabilities.
I don't have any experience of making a frame with multiple M&T joints.
I have used pocket hole screws for the joints of storage items - that are static.

Timing for the project is completion by the end of August.

Your thoughts and ideas would be very welcome.

Have a look at as many different sizes and shapes of flight case as you can. Also bear in mind that the show stand is likely to have some fragile faces, which will need protection in transit, and finally, the transport case has to go somewhere during the show, or temporarily removed from the site, AND all exhibitors will be trying to install/strike their own stands at the same time: don't make something that is too unwieldy. Finally, expect damage, especially punctures of thin plywood. So try to make something that can be repaired fairly easily.

I have used this company in the past for specials. In years past they used to make for many of the leading touring rock bands (probably still do). I appreciate your case will be larger and less protective, but many of the same design principles apply to it, too. Flightcase panels are usually repaired by drilling out the rivets and fitting a new piece.

I'd also think that pocket hole screws would be a complete non-starter for this.

If the set constructor has a Sketchup model, that may help you, as you can "virtually" test fit the pieces...

HTH, E.

Back