Trouble with Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to the bandsaw last week to cut some logs for turning and I could not tension the blade. I opened the door and found I had stripped all the threads on the tensioner this is the third time it has happened!
(Never buy a Ryobi bandsaw) I had to strip the top half of the bandsaw to remove the tensioner housing not only had I stripped the threads on the rod it had also stripped the threads in the housing which is saddle shaped I don't have a tap and die so had to weld a nut on the bottom to take the new rod which I had made then reassemble to see if it would work?

I had just had a couple of new blades delivered from Dure Edge 1/2in 4TPI so decided to fit one of these,reassembled, put the tension on the new blade,tracked it till I thought it was right then tried a few cuts

First was with a 6in log I am wanting to turn

was happy with the result so got a bit of 4in x 4in hardwood and tried that, the bottom 2 in the picture are 9mm next to the top is 3mm and the top is 0.7mm

I am happy with the results the Dure Edge blades are fantastic (pity he is closing down) just wonder how long it will be before I strip the threads again

Phil

That shouldn't be happening of course. What came to mind was dust and grit wearing the thread away, is this possible?

Roy.

Hi Phil,

I had exactly the same thing with my Axminster SBW3501B Bandsaw. Not had it long when the threads stripped. I think they make these things out of soft cheapo metal.

I complained to Axminster who sent a replacement easily enough but I was not happy with replacing rubbish with more rubbish. So I visited a local engineer who made me a new bolt and saddle from some high tensile steel and I've had no problems since and that was a couple of years ago.

regards

Brian

I know blade tension is critical on a band saw but it is also possible to over tension them. Mark Duginske has some good illustrations of bent and broken tensioners in his band saw book. As Brian says, getting a higher spec part made might be a cost effective solution. BTW Dragon Saws are also a good source of blades...lots of testimonials on the forum.

Always detentsion the blades after use,saves on the tires and bolts,and vacumm out the areas around the wheels and moving parts

Digit":yox291kw said:
That shouldn't be happening of course. What came to mind was dust and grit wearing the thread away, is this possible?

Roy.
I think like Brian, just rubbish steel, don't think a metric thread helps either.

brianhabby Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Phil,

I had exactly the same thing with my Axminster SBW3501B Bandsaw. Not had it long when the threads stripped. I think they make these things out of soft cheapo metal.

I complained to Axminster who sent a replacement easily enough but I was not happy with replacing rubbish with more rubbish. So I visited a local engineer who made me a new bolt and saddle from some high tensile steel and I've had no problems since and that was a couple of years ago.

regards

Brian

Think I will have to get a new saddle and bolt made the ones that come with the machine are rubbish

George_N Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know blade tension is critical on a band saw but it is also possible to over tension them. Mark Duginske has some good illustrations of bent and broken tensioners in his band saw book. As Brian says, getting a higher spec part made might be a cost effective solution. BTW Dragon Saws are also a good source of blades...lots of testimonials on the forum.

I only tension the blade till the saw will cut a straight line without wandering, my mate uses Dragon blades and he has had many snap on the weld whilst running he has tried Axminster blades and never had one snap.

Grinding One Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:17 am Post subject:

Always detentsion the blades after use,saves on the tires and bolts,and vacumm out the areas around the wheels and moving parts

I always detension after every use and vacumm round the wheels and guides

Thanks guys for your quick response
Phil

I bought a cheap second hand Elu bandsaw (similar to the Dewalt 738).

Is it 2 speed ? as I cannot see how to swop speeds ? anyway the tyres on the wheels looks worn and a bit rounded, the blade wanders a bit till I can get it adjusted spot on, can new tyres be bought or can I re profile them to flatten them ? apart from that its great for £25 :D

Back