Triton TPT125 Planer sparking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeety

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I picked up a faulty Triton TPT125 (MK2) earlier and have just had an initial look. When the planer is powered on they are sparks visible within the motor housing and the motor seems to be hunting although i haven't run it for more than a few seconds.

My first port of call were the brushes, having removed them they seem new but I have determined them to be the wrong ones, the metal cap at the top is too big and the brush covers were not seating properly.

Have any of you had this issue before? I'm going to try the bushed first before a full motor stripdown.

I have looked at the commutator and that looks fine from what I can see. Have ordered the correct brushes which should be here on Saturday.

Cheers,

Jon.

If you had not suggested the brushes then that’s what I’d be advising. They are cheap and easy to replace. Your problem will be if they don’t rectify your problem. I’m not an expert on machine in any way but the motor would be next on the hit list . IMHO if this is the case it’s going to be down to the cost of replacing or repairing the motor against what you have already paid out or just replacing the whole machine..

To be honest I bought it at a price I was happy with even if it needed a motor. I took a punt as they say. It looks very well looked after, blades are good etc. No knocks or dings etc. The infeed and outfeed tables show very little sign of wear.

The brushes and a brush cap (one was broken) were £25, only because I went with official Triton spares so i know they are the right ones. I paid £45 for the planer so even if it needs a motor it's a good investment?

Cheers,

Jon.

I had this exact issue, right down to the brushes and broken screw cap. Had to send it back in the end for a refund, as there were no more available at the time. Never did find out what the actual problem was.

So, I have pulled it apart and it looks mostly great. Bit of lubrication here and there.

Any suggestions on where to buy parts from for the Triton? I have the official parts supplier listing the armature at £90 ish posted, any 3rd parties you would recommend. Have seen armatures listed at £30-£40. Obviously no good if it ruins the field etc.

Cheers,

Jon.

Back