Triton super jaws special

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpolish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all if anybody is after Triton superjaw B&Q have them for half price £35 i was nearly tempted but decided I would not have enough uses for it. Would be ideal for carving and the like.
Cheers Phil.

Not have enough uses for it? Crikey!!! I bought mine at half price in B&Q £40 if memory serves. Wish I had bought one ages ago it is SO useful I would have gladly paid full price. Of course it depends on the work you do but I have found it immensely useful and will take to every job I do in future.
Firstly a vice on site is always handy but the fact that it can hold a door or worktop for cutting with the addition of a triton multi-stand for the other end. Then there is the ability to hold small pieces of wood for cutting that would otherwise be a little dangerous in some situations.
Must admit it is heavy BUT it has helped solve a number of difficult problems on just its first outing that I would now not be without it.

Get one, at half price you'd be a fool not to....

Russ

Note that there are two models of Triton Superjaws - the SJA001...

31519_frontpage.jpg

...and the newer SJA200...

183_t.jpg

I have seen it said that the older SJA001 model is better made.

I've been around several B&Q Warehouses in Scotland, and it's always the newer SJA200 without the bottom crossbars that is on offer. In one case it had been marked down four times. Sometimes the store has both models, but the SJA001 always seems to cost over £100, whilst the SJA200 is marked down.

I've be very interested to hear of any sightings of the older SJA001 for sale under £50.

If ordering by mail order, it would be worth checking to see which model will be shipped, as some companies are a bit confused as to which model they have.

Forrest

I picked up an SJA200 last week for £33 in B&Q. I thought there must be a reason for it being so cheap! Ah well it will be useful.

Hi. Just out of interest my SJA001 is standing by the log pile where it has stood for 2 years. With the special log jaws fitted it will grip any size log ready for the chainsaw . A brilliant bit of kit.

Dave
France 79

There are two reasons for the new design of Superjaws. Firstly, one of its major strengths is its tripod format, as this can have significant advantages on rough ground, building sites, etc. The two bracing cross-pieces are sprung into position, but then form a skeletal "flat" base. On uneven ground, this can be a problem, with any bumps pushing the brace(s) upwards and interfering with stablility. The new design has just the three points of contact, so uneven ground should cause no problems at all.

The front jaw lock has been re-designed to incorporate a safety feature. Sometimes, when releasing the front lock, this could cause the foot pedal to spring forward and catch the unsuspecting user in the shin. The instructions were clear and correct operation of the lock prevented this, but you know how the culture works - in the last resort, read the instructions! The new design requires an additional step of releasing a safety catch (like the ones that secure the Workcentre tabletop into position) and operating the pedal before the lock releases, as I understand it.

I cannot comment on pricing strategy, but I'd snap one up at that price, whatever model it was. I'll do a full review once I get my demo issue. HTH :)

Ray.

I had to go to my local B&Q warehouse (Edinburgh) last night, for some decorating things, so I went eagerly looking for the Superjaws. Alas, none to be found :( I already have a Triton Workcentre and a couple of Multistands so I'm a bit of a Triton fan already. I don't really have a job in mind for the Superjaws at the moment but I can see it being a useful piece of kit and at a 66% reduction, I'm a sucker for a bargain...hope they come in again soon at that price.

ps. The best price I can find online is Tritontools at £96.49 (p&p free).

Ray
Thanks for the additional and useful information, which is much appreciated. I look forward to reading your review :)

George
I saw the newer model on offer for about £70 at the Newcraighall B&Q Warehouse before Christmas. I don't remember seeing either model on offer at that store since then, but I don't go there very often since I'm on the other side of the city. The ones I saw on offer for about £35 were at three Glasgow B&Q stores in mid-March, so you might find it worthwhile to phone around. I too have a couple of Triton Multistands, and find them very useful, especially when working on uneven ground outside.

Forrest

wonder tool,
and an extra 10% off on a wed for the over 65's
never seen as many old lady builders in my life as what you will see in B&Q on a wed mornin over here in N Ireland,
:lol: :lol:

Forrest, thanks for the info. I did see the Superjaws at Newcraighall at the end of the year and I was tempted, even at £70 but if they are on offer at half that I'll shop around a bit and see if I can get one at the bargain price.

Gary, I don't qualify for the 'Pensioner's' discount just yet, but maybe my old Mum ( 88 ) would fancy an outing one Wednesday morning :lol:

Now that I've had a chance to use my new SJA200 Superjaws (right out of the box, BTW, no assembly required!), I've written a short review that some may find useful as a comparison with the original model (SJA001).

Although the new model is 3Kg (7 lbs.) lighter, it's by no means a "poorer cousin" in any respect and I really think that the simpler leg design will make it easier to use on rough ground.

The lock/release for the clamping mechanism makes it impossible for the pedal to swing forward when the lock is released - much more "shin-friendly"! Another bonus is that the rear leg acts as a carry handle when folded down for transporting.

The review is here for anyone interested. :)

Ray.

Dunno whether its just my pc but the page was too wide and i was having to scroll across to read it.
Also i think it would be a better idea to actually see the Jaws actually holdin a piece of wood or whatever.
Just my opinion.

Argee":awd5miym said:
Now that I've had a chance to use my new SJA200 Superjaws (right out of the box, BTW, no assembly required!), I've written a short review that some may find useful as a comparison with the original model (SJA001).

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to do that comparison, complete with nice clear photos. It's the first side-by-side comparison I've seen of the Superjaws models, and it's greatly appreciated! :D

I'm still wondering why those B&Q stores which had both in stock were heavily discounting the newer model down to about £35, but the older model was being sold for full price of about £110... :?

Forrest

tiler99":3jkwqqgc said:
Dunno whether its just my pc but the page was too wide and i was having to scroll across to read it.
I've tried to correct that, but there's a balance between tiddly little pics that show nowt and trying to guess users' screen resolutions. :eek:
tiler99":3jkwqqgc said:
Also i think it would be a better idea to actually see the Jaws actually holdin a piece of wood or whatever.
Just my opinion.
I'm grateful for your opinion, tiler99. As I say in the opening paragraph, it was mainly intended for those who knew the original model, so that they could compare. The review of the original model, including pics of a clamped door, are withdrawn from my site for topicality. Here's one for reference, though:

workctr44.jpg

Ray.

I'm presuming that is would simply tip up if:

A) You try to work on either end of a piece of wood clamped in a similar style.
B) You attempted to clamp the wood toward one end (to allow working on it) but causing the other end to flop to the floor.

It's one of those things that looks useful but I doubt I would ever use.

You're quite correct, matt - the picture was used in the original review to show the horizontal capacity of the (reversed) jaws, nothing else.

Adjustable stands, at either end (or both ends), would be needed to make it a stable working platform.

Ray.

tiler99":3nut2m91 said:
Just my opinion.

Mine too, I'm using a 10" laptop, and the scrolling is a real niggle. I reduced the text size, no problem with reading that, so if the pictures need to be large, the text could be in a narrower column. I'm a sucker for a new gadget, but I gave up with all the scrolling.

Roy Clarke":3onj31tw said:
tiler99":3onj31tw said:
Mine too, I'm using a 10" laptop, and the scrolling is a real niggle. I reduced the text size, no problem with reading that, so if the pictures need to be large, the text could be in a narrower column. I'm a sucker for a new gadget, but I gave up with all the scrolling.

One of the new features of Internet Explorer 7 is a zoom level control at the bottom right of the window in the status bar. This feature often goes unnoticed, but it can be a great help, particularly when enlarging text that doesn't respond to the better-known Text Size command, or for enlarging photos that are too small. However it can also be used to make webpages smaller.

Although I realise that neither of you may be using IE7, I think it worth mentioning for the sake of others who do use this version but who haven't noticed the control.

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsvista/webzoom.aspx gives more details.

Forrest

Latest posts

Back