Triton Sled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thallow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
After looking at a few other sites I am really keen to build myself a sled for the above mentioned Triton2000wc -
after weighing this up for a while my only question is:

what do I use for the mitre guides, as they are not square in profile like most tablesaws, more of an inverted 'T'. :(

Obvioulsy I know the answer is to use an inverted 'T' :wink:
but is there an easy answer to make something that will sit well enough to ensure my sled sits accurate to the blade? :-k

As always many thanks!
J

Thallow,

I look forward to other member's responses on this one as I've been thinking along similar lines myself. The other "problem" with the Triton is that the mitre guides are "stopped" by the ends of the work centre whereas on a normal table saw they extend "through" the table. Thus there is an issue in getting something which is shaped to fit the "inverted T" track into it!

It is possible to purchase "spare parts" for the Triton and hence I assume you can buy additional supplies of the metal bar that goes under the guide which comes with the work centre. However, a simple strip of hardwood may be satisfactory and definitely a cheaper solution!

Let us know how you get on if you try a strip of hardwood.

Paul.

I used the extension rail on the side with a couple more plastic sliders and run the sled along them and if there was room I also used to back the squareness up with the mitre gauge.

Have you seen this?

gen.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.com/bob.jager/triton_sled.htm

The cross cut sled I made for my Triton WC2k was based on the one in this thread on the Aussie Ubeaut forum.It runs on the inner rail of the Maxi sliding table, rather than the edges of the table top and it is very accurate. I have put a long fence on my sled with a self adhesive tape measure and a sliding stop, so that repeat cuts are also very reproducible. I have used mine quite a lot for squaring up panels for kitchen cabinets and has a cross cut capacity of more than 600 mm. Another advantage of this type of sled is that it operates with the blade guard in place so it is safer than the type that straddle the table. The sliding table bearings are available as a spare part from Triton Tools for less than £3 each.

devonwoody":qmnaevmt said:

I never realised that was yours DW, small world, isn't it. Your sled design works really well for cross cutting and panel squaring and your recent thread about cutting mitres on the table saw got me thinking about how I might adapt it as a mitre sled as well.

Martingchapman":3ngzvpfr said:
If anyone is interested I have a little used Maxi Sliding extension table, complete with rails etc. for sale (I live in Essex).

Martin Chapman.

Send a pm to Wizer he wanted mine some time ago.

Paul H: I will let you know how I get on - but the replies look vv good! :D

devonwoody: I do not posess the rail.....maybe another bit of kit I should go and purchase :-k

WiZeR you are a genius! :lol: that is exactly what I need! I have already emailed bob to request the detailed plans - \:D/ only problem is that he has had 1400 hits on that page - hope evetybody has not asked him for them..... #-o

devonwoody: Your sled looks excellent =D> think I might be looking at that in more detail if I end up buying the extension rail :D

GeorgeN & Devonwoody: how is it for cutting mitres?

Thanks all - cracking ideas as always!

J

Thallow if you contact the Triton dealer they would supply a single small rail and bearers.
Mitres for picture frames are best done by placing the table lower down and putting the mitre gauge in the correct orientation and using the saw crosscut mode. In fact the gauge can be set at any reasonable angle eg. 42% x 48% etc. as long as it totals 90%. Almost foolproof.

Back