Triton Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenf

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a largish Dewalt router, which is great, but I get fed up switching between hand held and router table (a square of Formica finshed blockboard with recessed bolts).

I'm thinking of justifying to myself splashing out and buy a second router. Previous threads recommended Triton as the best for table mounting. (I never ever came across the £100 offers) so I checked out their website. They have on offer New MOF001 1400W (with odds and sods) for £148.99 incl VAT.

Is this a new model? Is it a good price? Is this the way to go for mainly moulding and mortice forming work? (I suppose for the occasional big mortices I could swap the two routers about.)

Am I just sliding down the slope and should I just manage with one router?

Any thoughts? Any experience of this particular machine?

The MOF001 is the smaller router. It has features which imply it should be used in a table, but it a little underpowered for the job. It is however good for hand held use.

Ken,

As Wizer said, the smaller Triton is a bit light for table use - you tend to use bigger cutters and push harder when the router is table mounted.

I would keep checking B&Q for a good deal on the big Triton and then fit it permanently in the table. You will be surprised how much more conveneient it is to have one permananently mounted in the table and one available for hand held use.

You're nowhere near the slippery slope yet. I have three routers :lol:

Cheers
Mike

kenf":2wgokwzj said:
They have on offer New MOF001 1400W (with odds and sods) for £148.99 incl VAT. Is this a new model? Is it a good price? Is this the way to go for mainly moulding and mortice forming work? (I suppose for the occasional big mortices I could swap the two routers about.)
The 2¼HP MOF001 is a development of the larger 3¼HP TRA001 router. The two can be seen side by side in a comparative review I did a while back here.

For moulding and mortice-forming, I'd say that the MOF001 will have sufficient power, but it will labour a little if you were to use, say, a 75mm panel-raising bit, unless you took multiple passes.

It shares all the features of its bigger brother, including above-the-table bit-changing (although you would need to hang it from an insert to achieve this, as your modified formica top may be a little too thick), interlocked spindle lock and on/off switch, etc. It has above-the-table height changing if required (extra hole in the insert needed). HTH :)

Ray

I disagree with the opinion that it can't be used in a table. I've used mine almost solely in the table for the past couple of years, and it's been perfectly fine. With the massive bits, sure you have to take a lighter cut, but thats no big deal. For all your regular router-table jobs, it's more than adequate, you do not need a huge router for regular jobs.

The MOF is OKish, but the difference is (at least subjectively) way more than it looks from those hp specs.

The extra £50 for the big one is well, well, spent.

I have the big triton, and it is a good machine. However, whilst making a table for it to live in I used the little old bosch pof 500. Point being I remember using a 2100 watt erbauer thing to try and cut a mitre in some kitchen worksurface and it chewed it right up - made a right mess, then died. However the bosch 500watter managed to cut the holes for its big pal, admittedly with some passes, in kitchen WS, no problems at all. A good tool will work well at what it does, and a naff one will screw ANYTHING up. I love my little router; it isn't flash, it has springs on the outside!! and it is only tiny, but boy does it do a nice job. And it is so easy to use. You can tell if you are overworking a power tool, and this is when things go wrong.

I would suggest the triton mof 1400w will be fine in the table, as long as you use it within its limitations. Why would you want to cut huge chunks with a router anyway??

Just me 'venting' a bit- I am ill!!! And I still haven't forgiven Erbauer!!

Neil

PS - I raised some panels on a 1000watt router last week no probs. A performance power one. Nice job, took a little longer but so what....

I think with routers it is definitely a case of pay your money take your choice. If you buy a quality router you will get quality work from it if you pay amature prices you get amature work. Horses for courses. JMHO :wink:

Mailee - I guess this is true, but how much was the pof500? I have no idea as mine cost me a fiver with a few other tools thrown in (B+D powerfile, sanders etc...). Second hand of course, and very dirty when bought, but lovely now.
This bosch is green, but I have heard nothing but good about it, and it does do very well for me. I bet it wasn't a lot, eh?

Neil

Thank you all.

On balance it seems it might be worth getting the smaller Triton. I think you think its a good machine, and as I already have a larger Dewalt it will give me some flexibility of use and interchangabilty.

Someone mentioned having NINE routers! I didn't realise Norm was a member of this forum

Argee,

I have read your review now. Very good. It confirms my decision.

Time to order an early Christmas present........

Or are there really some Tritons floating about in B&Q land?

hi folks
just jumping on the TBR001 B&Q band wagon here, i managed to find 1 locally about a month ago for £98.98 ,its here up for grabs for the price i payed plus delivery or if you want to organise pick thats fine. where am i ,in livinston near edinburgh.
its sealed in its box as i picked it up.
i'm told something of that weight may cost £20-30 to deliver.
there it is awiating a new home.

if anyone is interested PM me.

Dave W

desmoengine":2z0v72ov said:
hi folks

i'm told something of that weight may cost £20-30 to deliver.
Dave W
Nah - I paid about £12 or £13 to send one via Parcel Force.

Back