Triton router stopped

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
One for Argee, I think.
I have the big rTriton router sitting in my table. I used it this evening three or four times. It then failed to start up. I suspected a fuse but that was not the cause.
I reckon the switch is broken. The red light stays on but I can't remember whether that is normal or not. Usually I can't see it under the table and I just switch on by touch and then hit the NVR switch.
The NVR switch is working but the router switch appears not to be.
I have had no chance to test it yet but I have blown out the dust from the switch housing.
Anyone else had this trouble, please?

SF

The red light is to show that the router has juice running to it.

Is the plastic cover sliding across so that the switch can turn on ?

That's about all I can think of at the mo.

Hope you get it sorted.

Chris.

I managed to find the time to quickly test the switch with a multimeter this morning. Looks like it does not make contact across two of the terminals. The other pair do make contact OK.

I guess I need a new switch, then.

I will let you know.

SF

If you are using the Triton purely in your table, and with a separate NVR, simply by-pass the router's own switch. The NVR is much safer than the conventional on/off switch and you do not need both.

Roy.

The inbuilt switch does have the safety function of being forcibly turned off when changing cutters above the table. I would put that quite high on my list of safety including stilll having a NVR switch which a numbnuts (I include myself here) could operate when forgetting to lower the cutter after changing so stalling the motor or worse. For what it costs best to sort it out.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/review ... router.htm

Look further down the review and dust in the switch is mentioned. Is your router an early version. I would be tempted to see if the switch can be dismantled and can be cleaned out, sometimes possible with these things even when it appears not, they do have to be assembled to start with after all.

edit I've just had another thought, do you have a compressor with a blast gun? because if that dust can get in maybe it can be blown out, all depneds how much has gummed up with some switch grease.

Alan

NVRs normally lock OFF Alan. If SF's doesn't, then I must agree with you.

Roy.

The Triton has a switch cover which you have to push back in order to turn the switch on. Once the switch is on, the switch cover is held open. When the switch cover is open, the collet can only be lifted so far. If you turn the switch off, the switch cover closes, and the collet can be raised a bit further so it projects through the table so you can get a spanner on it - raising the collet that far automatically locks the spindle as well. You can't push the switch cover back to turn the switch back on until you've lowered the collet back down, and the spindle lock has disengaged.

It's probably a mechanical interlock of some sort involving the switch cover, but if you disable the switch, you won't have the same protection against turning the router on with the spindle lock engaged (if you've left the switch cover closed), or raising the router while it is running until it hits the height where the spindle lock engages (if you've left the switch cover open).

NVRs normally lock OFF Alan. If SF's doesn't, then I must agree with you.
Well I don't know about normally... the only one that I have that does is on my table saw all the others don't, some have a flappy stop cover etc. My point really is what Jake has detailed more thoroughly and the deliberate operation of the NVR switch not accidental, when the router is mechanically disabled, but not electrically if the switch is bypassed.

Alan

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.
I don't think I will bypass the switch for the reasons already given. I have actually ordered another switch assembly. It is easy to change and, I hope, will clear the problem. I seem to remember the early ones, like mine, are prone to dust getting in them.
I have been making a lot of kitchen doors from MDF and meranti recently and the dust was quite obvious, even with all the extraction.
I will let you know what happens - soon, I hope.
Cheers,

SF

For those who are curious the interlock Jake mentions is simple. It's an extension on the back of the sliding cover that projects over the top of the nearest plunge post and prevents the router body from moving down (or up if it's in a table) the last half inch or so. Very cunning. Only when the cover is across the switch can the body move all the way.
Simple things like that suit me well!

SF

Replaced the switch assembly on Friday. It was a bit fiddly but basically easy and the router works fine again.
The old switch definitely has intermittant contact on one pole but I have not found a way to clean it yet.
I will have another go at it when I get time.
Cheers.

SF

Out of the country!!!
Shocking admission, Argee.
Thanks, though. I am sure you would have had some words of wisdom if you had been around.
Cheers.

SF

Latest posts

Back