triton router issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a triton router due to favourable reviews and ease of use in a router table. Generally very pleased with it, except that when using the winder handle to adjust the height it sometimes feels quite stiff and like it's grinding, feels like the gears have got sand in them. Is this s known problem with this router (it's the big one can't remember the model number off hand)? Tried spraying some wd40 into the winding mechanism but didn't help. Read something about older models having problematic nylon gears, but since this is new I assumed it would have the upgraded metal ones.

If it has metal gears they will need greasing or oiling (nylon ones just need grease). WD40 is no good as a lubricant, that's not what it's designed for. There's no substitute for a quick strip, clean and oiling :)

Ah, brand new. Chances are then that the factory haven't greased the mechanism so it's running dry. If it's accessible without stripping, I'd just use some clean engine oil, Tesco Value will do.

I had a similar problem which was due to distortion of the router baseplate when the insert plate mounting bolts were tightened.
Try taking the router out of the table (insert plate) and see if it is still stiff. If it is free when out of the table then the problem is probably due to distortion.
I cured the problem by shimming between the insert plate and router base plate to ensure the base plate stayed flat.

If its new is is not still under warrenty? incidently the cheap Aldi router still running OK my elu, bosch and Makita on the shelf, no reason only the Aldi one has the half inch bit in and cant be bothered to change it.

If you are only using this router in the table you should remove the spring. There should be instructions for doing this. For what it's worth I no longer use the winding handle, the adjustments under the table are so easy to use - there is a fine adjuster to finish off the cutter height (this is an element of the above table adjuster). I find height adjustments so much quicker this way as many times I need to adjust the height by sight which can only be done by bending my back to the level of the table.

Yes I took the spring out. Will try taking the router off the base plate and see if that makes a difference

Back