Triton MOF001 - to buy or not to buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, that is the question.

Im looking for a new router to replace my dead T11. Now, i know they're really a direct comparison but what do people think of the idea of buying the MOF001 over a new T11?

I have to say that the winder function for above table use etc looks interesting on the triton, especially with the above table bit change.

Do people have any experience of the MOF001 in a router table and what im going to loose by not buying a new T11?

Also, i notice the triton has a completely round base whereas the T11 has a straight edge that makes it nice to use with a straight edge clamp for rebating. Does anyone have any comments on the handheld use for the MOF001?

Thanks

Pete

Can't make comparisons for you as I've never used a T11 but I've had a Triton MOF001 for a while in my home-made table and couldn't be happier. The through the table winder is great, the above table bit changing with self locking, one spanner bit change, works beautifully. I find 1400w ample power and have never wished for more. I've never used it hand-held so no comment on that aspect but it does come with a boxful of stuff for so doing.

In short - can't fault it :)

Thanks Roger P, it sounds great.

I guess i was wondering about the power side. Do you think it will be sufficient for raised panel cutting etc ?

Also, does the above table winder bit etc come with the main package or is it an extra? and (yet another question) how many screws does it attache to the router table with? I will be using my homemade table rather than the triton one.

Thanks

georgie_redneck":1o4yr6ax said:
Thanks Roger P, it sounds great.
I guess i was wondering about the power side. Do you think it will be sufficient for raised panel cutting etc ?
Also, does the above table winder bit etc come with the main package or is it an extra? and (yet another question) how many screws does it attache to the router table with? I will be using my homemade table rather than the triton one.
Thanks

I've cut raised panels with mine just fine. As I said I've never had reason to wish for a more powerful router. Maybe in a professional shop there may be the need but it's okay for me. The winder is extra but I just made my own up from a long ¼" socket extension (cut a groove in the end) and, if you're feeling lazy, drive it from an electric screwdriver. :) Mine is attached to the table with three equidistantly spaced machine screws.

+ 1 here.
I also have a MOF001 in a home made table and agree with everything Roger has already said.

Used mine a bit hand held to make the table but since never. Didn't get on with the strange plunge set-up but maybe that was just me, or that it justs takes getting used.
Anyway, for table use I don't think you'll find anything significantly better but try looking at the Freud, or the bigger Triton (am I wrong that it now comes with above table adjustment ?) if you really need more power.

Mark

That's good news for anyone who wants the largest model. But as they say "Our Stock includes the winder handle beware of older stock that doesn’t". So best to make sure before you buy.

I asumed "older stock" meant the previous model that didn't have a winder handle at all :D

Mark

Hoping one of you Triton owners can help me with a couple of questions.

I need to buy a variable speed router with a 1/2" collet which ideally can accept a router bit with a 70mm long shank . It also needs to have an aperture in the base through which a 52mm diameter cutter will pass.

Does the Triton MOF001 meet these requirements? The router will be dedicated to this one specific task.

I think the MOF001 in Europe comes as a 1/4 inch router - the TRA001 is the half inch one. Bearing in mind Yandles are currently doing the TRA001 for £179 it might be worth getting the bigger machine?

Yes you are right ... it was in fact the TRA001 I was contemplating buying ...I got the model numbers mixed up.

I have actually decided to buy an ex-demo model ... I am sure I can make the aperture .larger if it's less than 52mm diameter.

6mm, 1/4", 8mm, 12mm and 1/2" collets are available for the MOF001. They’re are about a tenner each.

Back