Trimming door bottom

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit @Eric The Viking that I read & smiled when I read the last post by @andy hamilton it so reminded me of myself 10 years ago when a joiner friend suggested I invest in a track saw, I really didn’t think it was for me but how wrong I was, it’s one of the first tools I put in the van in a morning & has paid for itself multiple times over, so good I bought a second cordless one.
Hahaha Doug B! Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm in my early 70s and still running my own business, though I now only work 2 days a week. So our existing set-up will probably see me out. I'm not slow to buy expensive tools when they're needed, but it's never worried me being out of step with mainstream thinking as I seem to be on this thread. I've survived and thrived in business since 1985 without a tracksaw. Pleased that your tracksaw has paid for itself multiple times over, as has my preferred method.

If you do your own work or are in a position to specify, hang your doors using loose pin hinges. Doors can then be removed and re hung in seconds without losing any accuracy or strength of fitting. Why these are not commonly used I really don't know - a whole house would cost only a few quid more.
Totally agree. All doors in our house use hinges that allow the doors to be simply lifted to remove them and this is a real convenience. This is surprisingly useful when decorating for example.

Both Festool and Makita used to advertise their saws as capable of this (although AFAIK Makita haven't ever made nice clamps like those in the video). In most British houses it would be tricky as floors and doorframes are often not true - Once you get away from the old colonial states, American new build is often on greenfield sites and commonly of wooden frame construction, so it makes sense. I am very tempted to get a pair of those clamps asn they would be useful for all sorts of rail saw operations. And next time I am door trimming, I'll try that first.

@ Andy Hamilton: Tracksaws ("plunge saws") replace many of the traditional functions of circular saws. They are safer, in many instances faster too, and the quality of cut is superb. What's more, you can ditch a lot of jigs: I have one Systainer for the saw, spare blades, mains extension, clamps etc., and a bag with 2x 1.4m rails in it (which is well-padded and can tuck-in anywhere in a van, estate car, whatever). My saw is 110V so no issues on-site either. The dust extraction is also superb.

I gave my traditional circular saw away, and don't miss it. Anyway, the Makita has the fittings for the traditional circular saw fence/guide if that was ever needed. They are so good that (now the patents have expired), most tool manufacturers are copying the premium brands as fast as they can. And now they are cordless, too. Mine is my most used power tool, after my cordless drill. I think it's made in the UK too.

Thanks for the advice Eric. I don't know what work you do. We restore box-framed sash windows, mostly onsite, so we only need 2 cheap and quick to make plywood jigs, one for 90 degree cuts to trim the sides of sashes, the other for 9 degree cuts for sash bottom rails, plus a couple of clamps, plus a Makita cordless circular saw, all lightweight stuff (an important consideration for me as I'm carrying a long-term shoulder injury). It takes seconds to clamp the jig to the sash and about the same to make the cut. The cut quality is good - probably not high-end furniture quality but we're not in that business. Tracksaws are clearly popular judging by the comments on this thread, but I'm not convinced it would be a worthwhile investment for my own business. If I'm out of step with majority opinion, I can live with that!

Then you haven’t used a festool with a festool vac. Drop that on some expanded polystyrene insulation and is as dust free as any other tool and more than most, possibly the Mafell is as good.

Not just the Festool, my parkside saw is pretty dust free as well.

Then you haven’t used a festool with a festool vac. Drop that on some expanded polystyrene insulation and is as dust free as any other tool and more than most, possibly the Mafell is as good.

I have had a Festool TS 55 for about 15 years and have 3 of their extractors, yes the dust extraction is improved with a sacrificial sheet under but I still wouldn't be happy using it in someone's house for a quick job like trimming a door.

If you do your own work or are in a position to specify, hang your doors using loose pin hinges. Doors can then be removed and re hung in seconds without losing any accuracy or strength of fitting. Why these are not commonly used I really don't know - a whole house would cost only a few quid more.
That’s the depressing point though, Phil. Just a few quid more! No great surprise, sad to say, when you have major building companies lobbying to remove basic insulation, and a government trying to remove, or at least emasculate building control.

Back