Trim / Palm Router Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that is what surprised me, you can buy the 8mm collet but it don't fit.

Quote from A question for EU users of Bosch GKF 600 or similar - Classical Guitar

" When I finally got time to try out the Bosch (bought mail order from a big UK tool supplier) I discovered that it was no use to me - it would not take tools with an 8mm shank that I had already purchased. The model sold in the UK is different to that sold elsewhere in that it is limited to 6mm/quarter inch shanks. This, despite the fact that the kit (with lots of accessories) I got includes what seems to be an 8mm collet. The shaft is apparently reamed differently for the UK so neither an 8mm shank or the 8mm collet will fit in. The case actually says "6-8mm, UK only 1/4" " which can be read two ways but actually means that 8mm is excluded in the UK. Buyer beware. "

I cannot see any reason not to drill out the armature, it is clearance and the cutter location is done by the collet / nut assembly.

Just to put a balance on the love for the katsu routers, mine is horrid, extremely noisy, loads of vibration and most annoyingly the power cord was stupidly short. I have replaced both armature bearings and the brushes as the nose bearing was on its way out after very little work, doing this made it better but it's still not nice. I have a Makita copy from Rutland's with a plunge base which is better than the katsu.
Eventually I but the bullet and got a cordless Milwaukee, it's like night and day with the katsu, my advice don't buy the katsu, save up for little bit longer and get a reputable brand.

Matt

Something similar to undergroundhunter - I have a katsu, it's ok and very good for the price paid I suppose but definitely not in the same league as my Makita 18v trim router, that is an absolute pleasure to use every time I pick it up, I also have the Bosch GKF600 and can't remember the last time I used it - the Makita is that good.

There have been recent posts on the Australian forum criticising the Katsu (which goes under a different name to the Oz market). I suspect that the quality has dropped off, and that the early versions are no longer what there were.

My (early) Katsu is nearly as good at the Makita. However, if I were in the market now, I would be looking for a trim router with better features, such as in-built LED lighting.

Regards from Perth

Derek

it's also worth making see through acrylic base for it, you can add handles that way to a trim router, makes it more versatile.

I had a Katsu trim router years ago and when it died I bit the bullet and bought the Makita 18v battery one. Had the Makita one for a few years now and it's absolutely brilliant!

@Derek Cohen (Perth Oz) The Makita has 2 LEDs

Thanks Raymond.

Just to clarify for the aid of others, only the battery Makita trim router has LED lighting. The powered version (which I have) does not have any lighting.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Update on my original thread:
I bought the Katsu. It arrived promptly and was perfect straight out of the box. I've used it loads of times now on oak, mdf, ash and all sorts and it never misses a beat. I've done round overs, flush cuts and even made a little sled to flatten wide boards and it eats it up! Better still, it keeps hold of the router bit too unlike the Von Haus, which I consider a real bonus!

Just FYI, there are two versions of the cordless Katsu router, a “budget” version and one which is more of a Makita clone. I accidentally bought the budget version without looking too closely at it and it was horrible. Terrible QC on the fitting and finish and no safety switch; you can easily turn it on by accident when picking it up. Returned and swapped for the proper cordless version; safety switch, 2 LED lights, significantly better QC on the finish, perfect fit for Makita LXT batteries, rack & pinion, etc.

The budget version is quieter but has quite a harsh brake that I could see causing tearing out if still in contact with the work piece.

Otherwise, I am very happy with the better cordless Katsu, ordered from aim tools eBay shop which also offered a £5 checkout voucher, the big advantage is that there are so many Katsu accessories, interchangeable with Makita accessories and a fair few 3d printable add ons if you are into that.

For newbies like me it is a great router, the convenience of being cordless, and easy to use one handed, makes me go for it way more than my Big Triton (which frankly can be quite scary sometimes).

It’s not perfect, (the fence attachment is not great, setting depth on the fixed base becomes a bother real fast, you need the plunge base for the bushings, and the clamping screws for the guide bushes are terrible and are worth replacing) but if you have Makita batteries already, the router, plunge base, and guide bushes work out cheaper than the equivalent Makita bare unit, you can then spend the rest on some decent quality bits instead.

Latest posts

Back