Trim / Palm Router Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbadmarky

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All,
I hope you are well.
Sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere, but I'm after some general opinions on palm / trim routers. I want to buy a budget end one but want to get the best value for money. I recently took the plunge (pun intended) and bought a Von Haus one but its been a nightmare. It made a real meal out of some 18mm mdf and wouldn't work its way through 2mm of oak. It kept spitting out the bit which I'm pretty sure is not a typical feature of routers. Eventually it snapped a brand new straight bit. Perhaps I was a bit heavy handed (wouldn't be the first time) but surely 2mm of oak shouldn't stop a router?

Anyway, I'm after a decent, cheap trim router. I would love to spend hundreds on a cordless super whizzy one but I'm not in that price bracket.
Does anyone have any recommendations or buying advice for me?

Thanks in advance,
BBM

+1 for the katsu, sometimes it feels like everyone has got one! I bought mine direct from aim tools as it was cheaper than amazon.
https://www.aimtools.co.uk/collections/routers
Ditto on the Katsu - from AIM - and I also bought a couple accessories for it - transparent baseplate and something else I can't remember. It gets used quite a bit - although I have a really cheap fixed-speed trim route direct from China (?Banggood) that's fine - I just keep the most-used roundover bit in it and just use for that

+1 Katsu. I have 3 of them, 1 in a small table, 1 in a plunge base and 1 in the standard base. May have to get another for the tilt base.

There seems to be a pattern emerging in theses responses: either this is a long con by the makers of the Katsu to get me to buy one or the Katsu is actually pretty good. In either case I'm sold.

Thanks for all your responses.
Kind regards, BBM

Does any one know if the Katsu bases will fit the Makita trim router? I could do with a spare base & they don’t look a bad price.

I'm not sure if they fit, but I think they probably do. I'm interested in buying one because the price for the plunge base for the Bosch GFK600 is mad.

I recently bought an Erbauer palm router for £70 from Screwfix. It's nothing short of beautiful!

Quiet, smooth, easy to depth adjust, and comes with a cast ali base compared to the plastic base which most of the cheapos come with - well worth the extra few quid.

I've just rounded over a beech worktop with an old Dewalt 1/4 inch plunge router and it did a fantastic job using a Trend 6mm radius cutter

An aside do any of the above supply a 1/8" 3mm collet

No. But the machines are used a lot in home built CNC routers, so the people who sell the stuff to make these sell them. 100% you will find one on eBay. You might find one at Oozenest or someone who is in a similar line of business.

I use the Bosch GKF600 with a plunge base and an FC tools base that allows it to use guide bushes, it works great but I use it within it's capabilities and for heavier work I resort to a 1/2 router.
Agreed. Annoyingly Bosch sell a variable speed version in the States called 'The Colt'.

Back