Transporting Machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryJ

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have bought a Wadkin DR bandsaw :roll: and at risk of making myself look a little daft, the cheapest price for delivery I can find is effectively doubling the cost of the machine... #-o

I realise that this is a pretty large bandsaw, so transport isn't the easiest of tasks, but considering National Pallets and PalletLine (who can't take the delivery as the saw is about 100mm too tall) quoted about 1/4 of the price, I was sort of expecting delivery costs to be a little more than what they had quoted (they quoted about £94)

I see from past posts that some members here have Wadkin Bandsaws and other large machinery so I was hoping that someone would have a good idea regarding transport?

Thanks,
Harry

Edit:
Does anyone know of any good hauliers to ship this saw for a good price -say under £200 ish?

The Seller and I both have a telehandler to load and unload the machine :)

So you have bought a wadkin band saw for £150.00 including delivery what a bargain if you are not happy with it I will buy it, who will ship it for that price as they may be useful to me as I am often buying large machines.

Bit more that £150, but I still think it is a bargain -the £94 was the delivery quote from Pallet Line before I realised that it is too tall!

I think I'll have to at least try it out before I sell it on Wizard ;) -If I ever out grow the machine and need a bigger one, I'l let you know! :lol:

I used Shiply to find my current quote, but I have found in the past (with smaller machines to be fair) that they are often more expensive than dedicated pallet delivery companies to be fair..

Thanks,
Harry

Sorry, so what's your real quote please?
I'm getting a big bandsaw, although new, and the distributors charge from £120 (Felder), through to £300 (ScoSarg), with most around £200, all of which are exclusive of VAT, so i'm interested in the costs and potential pit-falls of commissioning my own pick-up!

orchard":3hl7lis9 said:
Sorry, so what's your real quote please?
I'm getting a big bandsaw, although new, and the distributors charge from £120 (Felder), through to £300 (ScoSarg), with most around £200, all of which are exclusive of VAT, so i'm interested in the costs and potential pit-falls of commissioning my own pick-up!

My quote is currently £382, -I suppose this quote could be called a commissioned pick up.
Pallet Line or National Pallet have both quoted about the same at £94 but they only accept things up to 2.2m tall

wizard":3hl7lis9 said:
not sure I understand the original question now :?

Sorry,
The original question is as Orchard says - if 'anyone know of good hauliers who'll ship a big saw for under £200'

Thanks again,
Harry

Thanks! Is that 2.2m including 15cm for the pallet? The 20incher's i'm looking at are around 2m, give, or take, although I don't have a forklift, so i'll need assisted, or curb-side, or something too...

If I was in your shoes, i'd phone a few local hauliers who may cut you a deal if they have an appropriate truck coming back empty/low, and see where that gets you, thinking out loud really :)

The 2.2m is overall height, including the pallet it is on :)

I've asked at two local hauliers, but one simply didn't want the job as it was too difficult and the other was quoting about £800...
They are a fairly small time business, so I don't think they had anyone that way, but I think you're right, it will probably be cheaper to find someone who is already doing the journey.
I think I'll do some more phoning around as something needs to be done... (hammer)

Thanks again,
Harry

+1 for local hauliers, although they'd probably need something with a Hi-Ab or taillift for loading.
Otherwise, there is a guy who advertises on Homeworkshop forum called "Landylift" who claims to move heavy machinery. Never tried him, so that's not a definite recommendation, just a suggestion

Oh, I forgot to say that the seller has a telehandler to help load and to unload, I also have one
-Quite an important fact I should have included... I'll add it now :)

Dick,
Thanks for the lead on Landylift, I think I'll drop him an email

Mark, I'll send you a PM with an address as I don't know how the seller would take to having his postcode online! :lol:

approx location to approx location plus distance and weight. I have a trailer that will take 1 ton loads and a landrover or motorhome to pull it. price would be all down to the miles, round trip from Ilfracombe

You can get the price down to £94.

All you have to do is to take a bag of spanners and sockets with you when you remove the top wheel and wheel cover.

You were 100mm short of the £94 price I think.

Hi Harry,

I'll reply to your PM here.

You say the saw stands over 7ft tall. The Wadkin website says it weighs about 800kg (assuming you have bought the 30"). Google maps says it's more than 220 miles from the location in Derbyshire to you in Dorset.

If Palletline say it's too tall for their vehicles then the only option is a flatbed.

Why don't you try calling some steel suppliers in Sheffield? If one of them is sending a truck south with only a part load they may consider taking it on. I very much doubt it'll be less than £200, though!

Otherwise keep on trying local hauliers. Ask for a back load rate.

Mark.

beech1948":2ru64jzc said:
You can get the price down to £94.

All you have to do is to take a bag of spanners and sockets with you when you remove the top wheel and wheel cover.

You were 100mm short of the £94 price I think.

Good thinking!

It's probably not worth you driving 450 miles to dismantle the top of the saw, but would the current owner be willing?

It would have been helpful with all the correct information at the start. I assume its three phase and if it is do you have three phase or is the motor small enough for an inverter? Also is it duel voltage as 400v inverters can get expensive, my 3hp was over £400.00

Could try this guy, from a different forum.

Call Steve Cox on 07836 736496 or email [email protected] for quote. Machinery removal and transportation service based in West Yorkshire, UK coverage. Crane can lift 1100kg at 1.2 metres and 420kg at 4.0 metres. Vehicle can carry 1100kg on 10 foot x 7 foot flatbed.

Latest posts

Back