Trailer for timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any advice on the pros and cons of a trailer for transporting 8x4 sheets and other timber? Ideally one that folds down for storage.

Or am I going to have to consider a van for my next car :)

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi

Be careful with trailers if you want to move 8x4 sheets of timber, most trailers this size use a sheet of 8x4 timber for the floor.

However if you try and move an 8x4 sheet in them all the bolts rivets etc tend to destroy the edges of the boards.

Luckily there are manufacturers that offer trailers which are slightly over size. Also you can get away with a 6ft long trailer and a ladder rack depending how many sheets you want to use.

I'm not aware of any fold up trailers, although there may be some.

Lider make a 6x4 which is actually 4ft 2" wide and will stand on its end which may be your best bet, or they offer a 8'x4' which is over size but would be too big to stand on its end. Both of these would be unbraked and would carry around 500kg.

You may also find the Ifor Williams P8E useful but again will not stand on its end easily.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Might be as easy to buy a second hand knackered trailer and strip it back to it's chassis to then build a sheet carrier on top? Something with extending arms with stops on the end might make it more compact for storage and you could use clamps to fix all the boards down if you wanted. You'd want to consider being able to cover the sheets if it was raining too probably.

If you generally buy the sheets and cut them down, it might make more sense to buy the sheets somewhere that'll cut them down for you. But that obviously depends on what you're doing with them.

Paulrockliffes' idea sounds worth consideration and maybe a s/h motorcycle trailer could be converted. I originally did something similar with the chassis from an old trailertent contraption but it was a bit of a botch up due to my poor welding skills.
I sold my van a few weeks ago but changed my mind about swapping my Ifor Williams G4 trailer for a smaller one. They're slightly oversized to carry 8 x 4 easily (most modern shhets are 2500 x 1200mm anyway). Mine happens to be twin axle which weighs 500kg empty but even the single ones are far too big to store on end and I doubt you have any chance of a folding contraption.
You have to think about security as well as decent trailers are stolen to order.

Bob

i would consider the price of having things delivered vs the cost of buying a trailer and having to store it. Also the security issues.

The only trailer I have ever seen that fits the brief is the Wilstow SF1003, but I don't think it's in production anymore. It's a kit 8x4 folding trailer, unbraked, which you can then adapt for your purposes. Should be able to construct a way of carrying sheet goods on it, if you can find a kit.

Both of mine would carry 8' x 4' sheets. You should keep your eye out for them - they're probably up your way somewhere after being stolen in Cornwall. :(

Seriously, that's a major drawback to owning one - they're highly thievable.

Thanks all, good advice. Security issues you've brought up might put me off as I'm pretty sure they'd go from my street. My neighbour had a quad and he had to just stop keeping it at home as it went every time.

I'd have to build a garage extension in which to keep a trailer from the sound of it. I don't want to own two vehicles, one for family, one for diy so I might have to consider a family/van if such a thing exists (transporter perhaps with the back seats out for timber runs). Or just plan ahead and do van hire.

I really don't want to stay as things are not being in trade and having to hunt around for a deal then wait in for delivery etc.

Roof rack?

I made a frame to attach to my Citroen BXs roof rack just for the task of carrying sheet goods. Probably went over the recommended weight limit on occasion. Fine for a few sheets and if ordering multiples you can often get them to throw in delivery.

Thanks Beau. I'll have a look at roof rack options now.

It's not the cost of delivery it's being in for it and the whinging some merchants do if you haven't got a forklift or a couple of heavy lifter workmen. I suppose the answer to that is stick to merchants who are happy to drop onto my drive. However, I would like to buy 4-6 sheets of 18mm from time to time but also take trips to buy other timber where I can actually see what I'm getting. Sometimes you just need 1 sheet.

I've got 8 months left on a 3 year hire car (Skoda Yeti) so planning what to get next, if it will a towbar etc. I'd have another Yeti but it obviously won't work for my diy trips unless I plan very well and get timber precut.

I've read some people say you can get a few full sheets into the back of a VW Transporter SWB, presumably that includes if you've got rear seats just removing them. Anyone doing that?

Hi Pike, I have been down the exact road you have as I needed to carry sheet materials but didn't want to own two vehicles. In the end though I did end up buying a van, which really is the easiest solution if you need to carry your own sheet goods.

You may have some issues carrying 8x4 in a Transporter SWB (plus you would have to make the seats removable), and if you are lucky to fit them in you will be limited by quantity as they don't fit in straight (I did do my research when I was looking but a quick google found this http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=360521 ).

I don't know of any other consumer vehicle that can carry 8x4 without a roof rack. This is probably the cheapest and easiest solution - there are weight limits but how much do you really think you will buy in one go?

Anyone carrying full size sheets is usually doing it for a professional reason, so if it really is a need then you need to pay in the thousands for it. I did look at trailers but you will need somewhere to park the trailer permanently (I couldn't as I have a very sloped and difficult driveway), plus the risk of it being nicked. I looked at some Ifor Williams offers but new they are very expensive. You can look at some dropside trailers though, second hand they are still £1k+. If you don't care about looks or feel a bit unvconvential then there are some horsebox trailers and some more catering type trailers that can carry larger loads, but you will be going into the early thousands down that route. I did consider having my own trailer welded up (using a professional welding firm of course), so that is something you can do (I based my ideas on a boat trailer structure), and then you can do something custom to your needs. Again prices for that are over £1k, plus you would need to be able to design it or pay for the design.

Other than that buy a van, or just pay for delivery - which a lot of people do. Hope that helps somehow.

sorry, i had assumed that it was for the odd few sheets a couple of times a year. Is it for professional/business use?

Ali thanks that really does help. I just want to think through all the options. marcros no im just a hobby woodworker looking at maybe having my own way to pick up materials instead of delivery if possible/practical.

I'm happy only getting up to say 6 sheets at a time. Are there good sheet carrying roof racks for regular vehicles? Or am I still looking at a van or combi van of some sort if I went down this route?

I guess I'm after the holy grail which probably doesnt exist :) a van that is also a family car. This started as a question about trailers but the more I think about it and reading the comments above I do think I'd have nowhere safe to keep it without significant investment in a garage extension.

What about a nice double cab pickup? Takes the family comfortably and I know you can't lay them flat, but surely that would take 8'x4' sheets in some way?

Otherwise I would agree with the roof rack option. I have a v. old Grand Cherokee and all I did in the past was to tie two pieces of suitable sturdy 2.4m long soft wood on the cross bars and then load up and secure the sheet goods. Think I have had 3 x 18mm ply, 1 x 9mm mdf and 1 x 3mm hardboard on it at the same time and it was no problem, I would be happy to load 6 x 18mm ply on it (if I had the space to store it when I got home).

This is even though I did not do the cross bars any good when I used the Jeep to pick up 300m of damp feather edge, that was a step too far :oops:

Terry

Terry, I was looking at a Mitsubishi Warrior for sale yesterday down my street. The space at the back doesn't look very big at all?

I've always been nervous when transporting timber on my roof bars but if I sort out a proper rack it sounds like a serious option.

I've had a lot of wood tied on to my roof rack without problems. But really, 8x4 sheets are too big for me to handle comfortably, and too big for my workshop. I always buy at B&Q where they cut to size free, either to my final size or to something manageable and consistent with what I am making. If they don't have the material that I want, e.g poplar ply for light weight, I have bought from Avon Plywood in Bristol where they will cut to size very accurately, effectively giving them a cutting list. Their delivery is expensive but you can pick it up. There may be something similar in your end. I do have an old estate with a 6' x 3'6" flat bed, which is really useful.

Keith

pike":14z0ieh9 said:
Terry, I was looking at a Mitsubishi Warrior for sale yesterday down my street. The space at the back doesn't look very big at all?

I've always been nervous when transporting timber on my roof bars but if I sort out a proper rack it sounds like a serious option.

Yes you have no chance with any double cab pickup. I have a single cab and still can't quite get a whole sheet in undercover but get them in sitting up on the tailgate.

Wizard9999":igfd24ck said:
What about a nice double cab pickup? Takes the family comfortably and I know you can't lay them flat, but surely that would take 8'x4' sheets in some way?

Otherwise I would agree with the roof rack option. I have a v. old Grand Cherokee and all I did in the past was to tie two pieces of suitable sturdy 2.4m long soft wood on the cross bars and then load up and secure the sheet goods. Think I have had 3 x 18mm ply, 1 x 9mm mdf and 1 x 3mm hardboard on it at the same time and it was no problem, I would be happy to load 6 x 18mm ply on it (if I had the space to store it when I got home).

This is even though I did not do the cross bars any good when I used the Jeep to pick up 300m of damp feather edge, that was a step too far :oops:

Terry

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Terry, I'm glad I wasn't following you!
it's worth pointing out that if you exceed manufaturers roof load spec or load badly and there's an accident the insurance company won't pay out. Additionally the police have a habit of pulling cars over and an 8 x 4 sheet on the roof of a car can be seen as an unsafe load which results in a fine and possible licence points.

One of my colleagues a few years ago put 2 pallets on his rack was pulled over on the motorway and it cost him £60 and 3 points. Had a drink with a neighbour tonight who's a traffic cop and he's confirmed that except the fines are higher now.

Bob

The load bed on a double cab pickup isn't that long. Additionally you will find that as it's classified as a business vehicle your insurance costs will be much higher, even for private use. Same with commercial vans I think.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back