Traditional English Bowsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirboo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in acquiring a traditional English bowsaw of the type pictured below.

CrownTraditionalEnglishBowSaw.jpg

These are pretty thin on the ground over here in Australia and so its a bit hard to find out much about them. I've typed bowsaws into a search on eBay a few times but all I seem to find are steel framed pruning saws for use in the garden. I'll keep looking though, one might show up.

If you're talking a new saw, it doesn't seem as though many retailers carry them. Via the Internet I've found that Hartville Tool in the USA carry a Crown bowsaw which costs US$69.99 and The Tool Post in the UK carry both the Crown one and one made by Roberts & Lee. At the Tool Post the Crown bowsaw is priced at £19.33 and the Roberts & Lee is £41.50 (for a 12-inch one). Shipping to Australia would be an additional expense.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Crown or the Roberts & Lee bowsaws? What is the difference between the Crown and the Roberts & Lee? Is the Roberts & Lee really worth over £20 more than the Crown? Do these saws feature fileable teeth or are they hardpoint? What should I be looking for if I do manage to find one on eBay or at a market?

That's probably enough questions for now.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

How about making your own out of a nice Aussie hardwood? There plenty of plans on the net and links on this site. Recent thread mentioned using cut and drilled bandsaw blades.
Just a thought.

cheers

George

As George says, making one is probably your best bet. There's the Internationally Internetally Famous BugSaw, or my own modest offering from The Woodworker as a start. Or there's a step-by-step mini bowsaw make or maybe something medieval? Check out this link to pictures of a whole class of galoots making them for a bit of inspiration.

Cheers, Alf

Dick also do several sizes and spare blades which are ground more like a japanese saw.

Jason

Back