Trad casement windows?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I need to make 2 windows for a customer. I have always made sash windows in the past as they are most common locally, hardly ever see casements. Have priced for sashes to match the other windows in the house but customer has now asked if I could do casements.

The windows are facing the sea and will get driving rain. Will trad casements with the cap grove stand this? Each side opener would have to be around 42" tall x 22" wide. Also the openers will probably be quite heavy especially if they opt for double glazing. They are going to have small square panes 8 per opener.

I could do storm proof windows but feel these would look really out of place.

So is it worth making trad casements, but possibly with double glazing as I have described? I think these may be more trouble than their worth. My thinking is that they wont stand up to the weather. Also fear the heavy sie openers may cause problems.

Or should I just stick to my guns and what I know and say sash windows or nothing? May not get the job but rather that than make something I'm not sure will work and have to fix it if they get problems.

I've done exposed casements with a mini weather-bar stuck on the top rail of the frame just above the openers. Needn't be big - say ex 1" x 3/4" just enough to stop rain draining back into the top of the opener.
Double glazing 8 panes would be a PITA; a very heavy window with a large area of just glazing bar. I'd just say no possibile!

It is the 8 panes that put me off most if you use modern DG units then you need beefy 57mm sections if you then add three glazing bars. It is not looking pretty. You then have the weight of that and start thinking 100mm hinges.
The weather can be overcome with seals and good quality multi point locking systems and as Jacob says a small drip mould
Hopefully a drawing of that should put them off compared to a nice sash

I saw a nice phrase about windows once. "Consistency of Fenestration". See what he says to that .

May be worth talking to the local planing department for their thoughts, is it in a conservation area or subject to covenants on the street scene, could stengthen your case for sash windows.

I use slimlite/sashlite glass on listed and conservation projects in flush casements, to overcome the issues with large section bars, not every one likes it, but the conservation officers are the ones who insist on its use, I fit the glass units using the putty replacement from Repair Care.

Back