Toy box (long/pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished this toy box for my daughter who's 1 next week. It might (with a bit of luck) hold about a tenth of the junk I'm tripping over! :D

It's made out of a pack of oak flooring that the local DIY shed was flogging off cheap to clear.

No drawings/plans/fag packets, just made it up as I went based on what I could get out of the pack. Final dimensions are 25"(width) x 16 1/2" (depth) x 16" (height) .....roughly!

I'm afraid I'm a bit rubbish at WIP pics 'cos I get too engrossed in the woodwork and forget so here is my one and only WIP shot :oops: :

57597372.jpg

The tails were cut on the bandsaw and the rest by hand. 10 dovetails each corner.

57597425.jpg

The finished box has a mitred & biscuited plinth around it with corner glue blocks and a support block on the inside of the plinth on each side. Finish is Danish Oil.

57597379.jpg

I might try to get some sisal or manila rope to replace that horrible white polyprop stuff. The stay is a spring loaded affair that actually requires a small amount of positive force to push the lid down. Here's the box with some toys in it:

57597500.jpg

I cheated a bit and bought the letters from the local baby shop. I don't own a scroll saw.... my excuse and I'm sticking to it....

57597484.jpg

...and here's what was left from the (I think) 1.6m3 pack of flooring. Waste not, want not..... :D

57597487.jpg

Voila!

Cheers

Scott, c'est magnifique.

Having just cut some DTs in oak I know how challenging that can be.

I can't imagine any DIY shed in the UK flogging off oak flooring like that :!:

Andy

Proper job, Scott, I like that. Only on WIP shot and yet so many gloats contained therein - bravo! =D> :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Looks great. I really like that. Can you tell me a bit more about that stay?

I'm finishing a cabinet at the moment and the lid is really heavy - so I'd like some kind of similar mechnism. Do you have any supplier etc details...

Adam

Thanks chaps!

dedee":3nf8lo69 said:
I can't imagine any DIY shed in the UK flogging off oak flooring like that :!:

Andy, they seem to buy in bulk lots of flooring from various suppliers and I guess they flog off the remainder when there's no longer enough to floor a room and the customers lose interest. Not much use if you did your sitting room and found yourself a pack short because they never seem to have the same stuff twice!

Alf":3nf8lo69 said:
Only on WIP shot and yet so many gloats contained therein - bravo!

Ach now Alf .... that was completely unintentional! .... a fret saw and an old Marples chisel, I ask you! :lol: [thinks: drat! Should have got a Bristol Design chisel in... :-k ] heh heh!

Adam":3nf8lo69 said:
Can you tell me a bit more about that stay?

I'm finishing a cabinet at the moment and the lid is really heavy - so I'd like some kind of similar mechnism. Do you have any supplier etc details...

Adam, I got it in [another] local DIY place. I'm slightly dubious about it because the spring seems to be weaker than when I installed it. I'll go back tomorrow and get another one I think. If the spring settles a bit then it might need a stay on the other side. Time will tell!

Scott,
That is lovely job - reckon you should be justifiably very proud.

Re the leftovers from your 1.3 cubic metres - I wonder what you did with the other tonne of wood? :wink:

Lovely job Scott. I think the dovetails are excellent. I keep saying I must have a go at handcut dovetails. One day maybee :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: I think the last one I cut was in my last year at school (1952) and got top marks from Harry Jones our woodworking teacher.

Cheers Alan.

waterhead37":kwtqf38x said:
Scott,
Re the leftovers from your 1.3 cubic metres - I wonder what you did with the other tonne of wood? :wink:

Ach, what's a 2 or a 3 between friends! :D

Good looking chest Scott.
Danish oil was a good choice for it. Very fine dovetails you have made.
We also keep kid's soft toys in chest; no dust so much there. :wink:
Thek

Back