Total Newb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveF":1g41wfx1 said:
ok go meself a lathe...a bit long for my workshop so hacksaw time :cry:
now need to get the rest of shopping list
gouges....boot fair time :)Steve
Do your homework before you go so that you know what to look for. Look at gouges (& skews) from the major manufacturers to get an idea of their shape & style & to see how they differ for use on spindles & bowls.

As a general rule, choose HSS (High Speed Steel) over carbon steel, ie no pitting or cleaned rust & let the handle size & shape tell you whether it was meant to used by hand/with a mallet or is somewhat longer & thicker & probably circular which would indicate a turning tool.

On the few occasions that I've looked at turning tools on ebay I noticed that a great number were classed as either wood turning chisels or suitable for wood turning when they are plainly for carving or flat work, which in the hands of a beginner could be positively dangerous if used on a lathe & leaving the user to wonder what he did wrong.

I got the Multistar Duplex Chuck Forsale Steve, £30 with 2 sets of jaws.
i was using it on that lathe. but it takes a bit of time to get use to the chuck.

Steve

Back