Tormek style wetstone grinders, Record?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
A while back I owned a Tormek sharpener and then, due to poverty, I sold it.

I've come to the conclusion that I's like another wetstone grinder now but it appears there's a load to choose from and the more I look at comments about them on the web the more confused I get...

As I'm still not exactly made of money I first started looking the New Fox model (F23-730) which looks pretty much identical to the Scheppach Tiger 2000 but about 20 quid cheaper. I know though that you get what you pay for and I'm guessing it's not going to be stunning - unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

Everyone always says that the Tormek are sill the best but I can't stretch to a Tormek T-7...

The Record WG250 looks to have good spec with a good set of accessories available - I found one post on here though with someone saying they had trouble with there's and the wheel having play in it - surely that can't be the norm can it - has anyone had and experience with the Record??

Other options are the smaller Tormek T-3 which is about the same price as the Record, or there's also the Jet GSSF-10 which has good reviews on Axminster (but mentions of unreliability on other forums). Then there's versions from Triton, Clarke (same as Scheppach Tiger 2000 and fox models?), larger Scheppach 2500 and Dekota....

There's too much choice... I do like the looks of the Record though.... arrrrr, any advice?! #-o

Hi

I have a Tormek, but if budget was tight I would go for the Record. I've never owned one but would opt for it based on my satisfaction with my other Record Power tools, (lathe, bandsaw, scroll saw, planer thicknesser, bench grinder).

I wonder if the Record fixtures and jigs fit a Tormek???

Regards Mick

Spindle":2lmhyure said:
Hi

I have a Tormek, but if budget was tight I would go for the Record. I've never owned one but would opt for it based on my satisfaction with my other Record Power tools, (lathe, bandsaw, scroll saw, planer thicknesser, bench grinder).

I wonder if the Record fixtures and jigs fit a Tormek???

Regards Mick

Just looked at the record, it is just a rebranded jet grinder

http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jssg ... rod481039/

Axi state that most of the tormek parts/jigs are compatible with the jet. So they should also fit the record version :)

Do you think it is a rebranded Jet..hummm, the water trough is the same but the casing looks a little different maybe? If it is the same as the Jet, the Jet is cheaper!

I think the jigs are interchangeable between them all.

Hi

There seems to be a bit of a difference in weight but there are definite similarities.

Regards Mick

Those Tormek T-7s are mighty expensive though Mike, over twice as much as that Jet. Maybe I could sell a kidney...?

The Tormeks will last. I have a green 2000 model from new and spend at least a whole day twice a year using it nonstop. The jigs are great. I have a few Jet bars to add to it and am presently building a grinding jig with the Tormek basic kit, so grinder, Tormek, Diamond stones, ceramic, strops. It runs all day, does not overheat, the wheel is great, as are the jigs and the repeatability.

I used to use a whetstone grinder (Scheppach) but it (and a collection of japanese waterstones) is now gathering dust on a shelf as I much prefer to use a Worksharp 3000, much cleaner, more accurate and quicker.
Tormek jigs work with it or you can use the vision wheel plates and see how your gouges/carving tools are sharpening.

Before selling a kidney or putting the Missus on the streets check it out. Rutlands were knocking the Worksharp3000 out at £200 a few weeks ago.

I've got a T7 and also haven't used any of the clones. However one thing Tormek are pretty hot on is defending their jig patents and they were one of the originals. So for example Sorby with their pro-egde use the Tormek elliptical grinding jig for their bowl gouge setup rather than risk a law suit from Tormek. This may be the case with the other clone manufacturers ie they might all use the Tormek jigs if they're still in patent.

"Before selling a kidney or putting the Missus on the streets check it out. Rutlands were knocking the Worksharp 3000 out at £200 a few weeks ago"
A little too late for that, I bought a T7 this morning, but I got it from a German company for £370 delivered! The cheapest I could find it over here was £470. I did look at the worksharp but without actually seeing one in the flesh I could not make a judgement on it. I had a play on a friends T7 and that, coupled with the ten year warranty convinced me.
Bob, i did read somewhere that the patents for the Tormek had expired which is why there are suddenly lots of copies around and all using the same diameter shafts. the Jigs made by triton and Record are half the price of Tormek, so if they work just as well I see no point in throwing away money just to have a name.

mrpercysnodgrass":3mga18ud said:
"Before selling a kidney or putting the Missus on the streets check it out. Rutlands were knocking the Worksharp 3000 out at £200 a few weeks ago"
A little too late for that, I bought a T7 this morning, but I got it from a German company for £370 delivered! The cheapest I could find it over here was £470. I did look at the worksharp but without actually seeing one in the flesh I could not make a judgement on it. I had a play on a friends T7 and that, coupled with the ten year warranty convinced me.
Bob, i did read somewhere that the patents for the Tormek had expired which is why there are suddenly lots of copies around and all using the same diameter shafts. the Jigs made by triton and Record are half the price of Tormek, so if they work just as well I see no point in throwing away money just to have a name.

Think that was a good mood. Have a Tormek 2000 which I bought in Australia 20-odd years ago, and am upgrading at the moment. One thing I noticed with the Tormek is that the motor seems to be of particularly good quality, which may be some of the reason why the Tormeks are so expensive. Am getting a new shaft, the MSK-250, the drill bit grinder DBS-22, and the Blackstone silicone SB-250, plus the XB-100 horizontal base as the original with only one fastening screw was a bit wobbly. Don't ask what it all cost me!
Anyway, one thing I don't like about the Tormek is the plastic bearings for the shaft. After water and grit have done their work they are quite worn Am pondering using a proper bearing with seal there, but will see how the new bearings that come with the shaft are.
Also, I presume you all have Leonard Lee's The Complete Guide to Sharpening http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Gu...F8&qid=1438456857&sr=8-1&keywords=leonard+lee.

I own the Record as the Tormek was way out of my price range. It's a grinder - what else can the Tormek do that the Record can't?

I really like mine and the accessories are first class. I've never had a problem with it and it's simple to use, change jigs, flatten the stone etc etc.

My only criticism would be the feel of the thing when I first took it out of the box - it felt a bit too plasticy (sorry shocking abuse of the English language). But less to rust in my opinion.

I would buy it again tomorrow.

Jonny

Updating this thread, something that has remain unmentioned is the new T4. The T4 is essentially an upgrade to the rather inferior T3. Both those models were Tormek's solution to the non professional and the 2 primary differences are that the motor is not continuously rated as in the T7. Also the wheel diameter is 8" not 10" as in the T7. Apart from that the T4 is not a bad machine and is also much closer in price to the clones. There are very few amateurs that really need the continuous rated motor of the T7 and in fact it is aimed at professional sharpening businesses. I think from memory the T4 can run for 2 hours before it needs a break. It's casing is stainless steel I think rather than the inferior T3 so its getting good reviews in the Tormek universe.

Having said all that, if the clones do the job and they're even less then why not get the benefit of a 10" wheel. Tormek are without question a tad on the expensive side but I think from a materials and quality perspective they're also the best. If I had my time again, I doubt I'd buy a T7, I'd review the T4 against the clones and make the choice from those.

I've had the jet for a long time( since it was released) I could check but I guess 7 or 8 years
It's a good machine. My only issue is the nut and spindle holding the wheel has gone really rusty. Everything else has upheld fine. And I use it every few weeks. The nylon bearings for the guide do wear a bit. Care needs to be taken to clamp the thing to be sharpened evenly( a fault of the original tormek to).
Personally my problem is with the whole concept. Its just so bloody messy in a workshop. And slow. Ok for workshop edges. But I regularly take out half moons on my fitting chisels. Painfully slow.
That's why I would think about the sorry or maybe the worksharp esp after the guy in this post bigged it. I still sharpen on waterstones btw.

Back