Torches - Maglite or other??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of statistical pedantry, how many of the people enthusiastically claiming Maglites are the best have tried another brand of similar cost?

I'm not trying to gain-say, I'm genuinely curious.

Note also that there is a difference between "good" and "the best". In the case (for instance) of the survived-a-week-in-a-cave anecdote, that only tells you that a Maglite DID survive. Not that a-n-other premium brand wouldn't.

(also in this linguistic vein, note that in a comparative test of junk, the "best" might not be "good")

BugBear

Aled Dafis":xtnnvuvr said:
Hi I'm after a new (decent) torch having had enough of cheap "disposable" torches.

I have a couple of small Maglite's and really appreciate the fit and finish, it's rugged and workmanlike, engineered to a standard not to a price. I'm pretty set on getting something like a 4D Maglite, but are there any other good brands that I should be aware of?

Cheers

Aled

have a look at the Peli range

http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/

they have a If you break it, we will replace it policy!

Close Flying Haggis. Pelican Products have a lifetime guarentee for all damage, apart from "shark attack, bear bite, or children under the age of five". :D

I bought my first Maglite, a 5D, during the miners strike 26yrs ago. I recently returned it for a free service and most of the parts were replaced with new. Sorry, I can't fault Maglite. Duracell batteries are for nothing on Ebay.

Thanks for the wealth of information guys, I didn't know that so many brands of high tech torches existed. I'm also surprised that most now run on AAA or AA batteries, which make the 4D Maglites look massive, and even more so for the 6D.

Having done some research I've decided to go for a LED Lenser P7 which gets rave reviews on the net. This is the cheapest plave I've found.

http://www.tools4trade.com/shop_productdetail.aspx?pid=3803766

I'm sure that some smart a**e will now pipe up with a cheaper alternative
:wink:

Cheers

Aled

Back