Tops course basic kit 1982

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a link in from here instead of searching for the revised list. Just being helpful I thought. I see no hornets nests?

"Training Opportunity Schemes" (I think) TOPS courses were usually 6 month full time intensive course usually following City & Guilds prospectuses or similar. They were set up after WW1 to get returning troops back into work and evolved to cover a lot of trades and crafts.
They were highly developed by 1980 and were available for the unemployed. To get on I had to sign on for two weeks as I was in between jobs. You got a box of tools, a living allowance during the course and for a year afterwards (about £40 a week ISTR) plus a lot of business advice. I haven't run out of work or had to sign on since so it worked for me!
They worked for a lot of other people too, and were highly rated, in spite of the strict regime - clocking in and out, 8 to 5 everyday, semi uniform (as needed per trade) etc.
They were a really valuable and cost effective use of tax payers money, so Thatcher shut them down.

PS I forgot to add - there were almost no entry requirements, open to anybody, subject to a few basic checks. C&J test was to hammer a 4" nail into a block of wood and answer a few simple questions such as "what is this?" (holding up a saw). So there was an early drop out rate but on the other hand there were all sorts of people discovering abilities they never knew they had.

Thanks for the explanation. I would dearly love to see a "tops" course run as a pilot now.

G S Haydon":23wlzm11 said:
Thanks for the explanation. I would dearly love to see a "tops" course run as a pilot now.
As far as I know the City & Guilds syllabuses are much the same, but I imagine the teaching would be a bit more easy going.
I'm not often an advocate for strict regimes but if it comes down to learning a craft process with a defined syllabus then maybe a good idea. If you really want to do it then you don't notice the bullsh|t so much, and it's over sooner.

They are kinda like that. A guy who worked with us who just retired did a course we he left school in which they a month or so on each trade to get a feel for which they liked best. I think that initial try out would be great. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a family member or friend to introduce them to the trades.
One real world observation though is the quality of work experience students both from school and from school leavers over the years has been rather poor around here. There have been some good ones but they were enticed by other trades. Many employers do offer this service and it is a great way for youngsters to get used to it.

Back