Toolboxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any good plans or designs out there for a decent portable toolbox? I'm currently using a tool bag but I hate it as it theres no organisation. I've lost count of the number of the plastic tool boxes I've used over the years, the main problem being they were either too small or too heavy (even when empty). As most apprentices do, I made a traditional box at college but it was stupidly heavy and cumbersome to lug around, great for organising though.

I'd like to make a box, which is as light as possible (I'll need to carry it around a lot) but still has enough room to organise my tools, maybe a tray for smaller or fragile items. Could anyone point me to a good site or give me some pointers please? I usually carry my saws and spirit levels separate so the the box doesn't have to be overly long. I try to keep the amount of tools I carry around to an minimum. So rough list of tools that it would to store would be:

claw hammer
axe
chisels (about 8, so was thinking of a rack incorporated into the box?)
screwdrivers (same as above)
jack plane
block plane
various dividers
squares & sliding bevels
pliers,etc

Theres other small tools I can't remember at the moment but thats a start.

I'd also like a design with a lid that can be locked (padlock type would be fine).
I was thinking about getting the toolbox book also. Good idea? Even if none of the designs in the book are suited to a site joiner toolbox I still think it'd be a interesting read, as I'm a bit of a storage geek :oops:

Thanks for any help

The Toolbox Book would be a good idea, I think. It has whole sections on portable toolboxes and some interesting ideas. Here's one that's always appealed to me. The other galoots are a good source of ideas too; try here and search likely terms like "toolbox" "tool tote" etc and there might be something here. In fact a link on the Old Tools List this morning pointed to this. Definitely portable, but maybe a little on the small side...

Cheers, Alf

Hi scooby
I have made my own boxs for years but have now got one with wheels on ( plastic )it and I know you can get metal one as I think stanley do one.

For me it has made get my tools a round much easier as I now work for my self.

Alf
That last box is first class :shock: =D> .
I was think of making some swan neck handles for my mothers chest ( the mahogany one ) but chance my mind :roll:

Colin C":2kw3qywt said:
Hi scooby
I have made my own boxs for years but have now got one with wheels on ( plastic )it and I know you can get metal one as I think stanley do one.

For me it has made get my tools a round much easier as I now work for my self.

Alf
That last box is first class :shock: =D> .
I was think of making some swan neck handles for my mothers chest ( the mahogany one ) but chance my mind :roll:

Hi Colin, could you tell me which wheeled box you've got please?

I will try to find a pic of it but it has big compartment an the bottom and a box at the top.
The box on top has a tool tray inside and also a spiny tray for small parts ( screw and nails ), plus two small compartments on top.
Try a B&Q whare house for them.
I will post a pic of mine later :)

scooby the bigger stanley ones have a metal handle and wheels.
and you can sit on them, whilst they also have a slot for holding
dowels or so on if you can't get too near a vice.

like almost all these things they are actually made in israel
by zag, but branded by people like stanley.

wooden boxes tend to be too restricting and b**** heavy,
like metal ones, of which i have a number.

the plastic ones are good site products, and tend to be waterproof
and lockable. although they have a storage drawer, you can add your
own bits, and they seem to take a bunch of weight.

paul :wink:

ps buy all three books, workbench, toolbox and workshop they are worth it if only to allow you to cry silently in the toilet at certain times :twisted:

engineer one":1nsxpn3e said:
scooby the bigger stanley ones have a metal handle and wheels.
and you can sit on them, whilst they also have a slot for holding
dowels or so on if you can't get too near a vice.

like almost all these things they are actually made in israel
by zag, but branded by people like stanley.

wooden boxes tend to be too restricting and b**** heavy,
like metal ones, of which i have a number.

the plastic ones are good site products, and tend to be waterproof
and lockable. although they have a storage drawer, you can add your
own bits, and they seem to take a bunch of weight.

ps buy all three books, workbench, toolbox and workshop they are worth it if only to allow you to cry silently in the toilet at certain times :twisted:

My dad purchased a Stanley tool chest (on wheels) a couple of years ago and hasn't used it. Think I might 'acquire' it :D Theres only 1 problem (quite amusing). I doubt I'll be able to get it in the boot of my car and the car is too small for it to fit on the seats.

I could make use of the wheels and tow it :lol:

Ah, the joys of driving a mini :D Problem should be solved when I get my next car (soon I hope)

well i though minis were made to have the passenger seat removed
during the week for work, then replaced at the weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

if it's family it is not acquisition it is re-distribution :lol: :twisted:

engineer one":2ojo9n7z said:
well i though minis were made to have the passenger seat removed
during the week for work, then replaced at the weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

if it's family it is not acquisition it is re-distribution :lol: :twisted:

ah, good idea about the seat. Last time I drove a car with no passenger seat was great, until you need to reverse. Reach over to passenger seat, find it isn't there, flail arms to regain balance and prevent being garroted by the seat belt. :lol:

I like the re-distribution thing. However I think it's a double edge sword, as a lot of my tools seem to redistribute themselves in my dad's tool bag. Hence wanting a lockable box, does that sound mean? :lol: I suppose thats what happens when you do the same job as your father :?

I have been happy with it as I dont have to do as many trips, least chance of getting some thing nicked and I alway have a seat
:D
RIMG0005.jpg

Latest posts

Back