Tool warranties - are they really worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
This isn't really a gripe just a discuusion point really.

I have numerous powertools that all have warranties, either standard 1 year or the ones that are automatically longer if you register like the three year ones offered by Metabo, Festool or Bosch.

I have a Metabo Duo sander that is about 15 months old - it has developed a significant vibration in the last few days; not so bad that it can't be used but enough to make you want to stop using it after a few minutes which is no good for the amount of sanding I have to do. I rang Metabo who immediately arranged collection under the terms of the warranty to service/ repair as necessary and return it to me in 3 to 4 working days. I think thats pretty damn good and this is no slur on Metabo (or the others).

The problem that arises though is that I now have no ROS for the next week and I need one. So I have placed an order with APTC for a new one which will arrive tomorrow.

My point is this: How useful is this warranty really? I have still had to shell out for a new sander. I wasn't expecting a replacement to use in the short term so I don't feel duped. I don't know how much the warranty actually costs but i'm just wondering that if it costs say £20 for a three year warranty, I'd probably rather have the tool discounted in the first place.

What do others do, esp those that earn a living this way?

Cheers

Tim

Tim,
as much as I hate to buy anything with a deliberate intent of throwing it away after a few years this does seem to be the advantage of buying lesser grade tools from the big DIY sheds as quite often a defective tool will be exchanged straight away and sometimes the warranties can even extend beyond 12 months.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Andy, who doesn't do this for a living

I had a nightmare when i put my Metabo chop saw in for repair . I was without it for around 3 weeks and ended up having to go direct to Metabo in southampton rather than the local dealer i was using . I don't know if the salesman i spoke to everytime is still there but he wouldn't give a straight answer and insisted on calling me "Bruv" I got the impression he wasn't well liked by the rest of the staff when i went into the shop and asked who the t*** was that kept calling me bruv on the phone .
Hilti on the other hand give a two year warranty and give you a replacement tool while yours is in for repair .
I wouldn't pay for an extended warranty on my tools as they get used hard and when they start going wrong its normally time to buy a new one or upgrade anyway .

I don't know how much the warranty actually costs but i'm just wondering that if it costs say £20 for a three year warranty, I'd probably rather have the tool discounted in the first place.

The warranty doesn't actually cost anything apart from the paper it's printed on, the cost comes about when a repair is carried out.

If the price of the sander was reduced by £20 and only a 1 year warranty was offered then you'd have to pay for your repair, which would probably cost more than £20. So i think your quids in.

Matt.

Back