Tool theft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why just tradesmen? why not all thieves? bit selfish if you ask me, seems like tradesmen are only concerned with their own stuff and nobody else. I've still signed it though.

Andy

I don't know how this can be enforced.

So if somone steals from a shop, they get one sentence, ..and if they steal from a tradesvan, they get another? The sentence for stealing in general should be increased, surely?

And the insurance ban thing will surely just increase organised crime? and also increase the rates for other people?

It's really rubbish getting the tools you depend upon to bring in the money to feed your family stolen, but I don't think this is the answer.

I have signed (so has the wife), I do think the law should be tougher in general but if someone stole the tools I use to earn my living I don't know what I would do, I certainly wouldn't be able to replace them all in one go.

Matt

Signed, just can't see it doing much good in a real sense but live in hope eh. If it raises awareness then that's a start.

I agree that theft in general should be tougher but if someone steels my car they don't get a tougher sentence just because I need it for work. Same is true of my laptop.

I think it's disgusting to deprive a person of their livelihood but that isn't restrict just to tools.

The petition says not every has insurance - well surely insurance is a prerequisite. I have insurance for my items and my car is covered for business use. Surely improved security is also part of the answer?

I just don't see how one can legislate for this type of theft over others. That's what a judge is for, to determine the sentence for the crime.

Let's take some examples: A 15year old steels a 50p chocolate bar from a supermarket. - that's pretty minor and you'd expect a light sentence (probably just a caution)

A house is burgled and the tv stolen - not a nice thing to happen but a tv is replaceable. Not sure how the victims may feel about the invasion of personal space though.

A guy has his tools nicked out of his van. Well it's not as personal and tools can be replaced by the effect on the guys work might be very bad.

A pensioner has his mobility scooter nicked. That's pretty personal and will leave the victim pretty upset and have a sever impact on his life.

I'm not sure that the guy having his tools nicked is worse than a pensioner or the family with the tv. Let's let the judge decide. Maybe stronger sentences for theft should be the guideline?

Latest posts

Back