Tool storage/protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galleywood

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an Incra T rule - the stainless steel rule of which is very thin to allow the marking of points and lines with a fine pencil.

It is a little too delicate to leave it on the bench unprotected as you might do with a combination square.

I have taken to placing it in the upturned blister pack until I have something more permanent.

What examples can others show me of how they protect their vulnerable or teasured tools?

Attachments

• IMG_9340 copy.jpg
    IMG_9340 copy.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 1,440
I make boxes from 6mm Birch ply with 3mm birch ply tops and bottoms.
Like this...

Make then saw in half.

Pete

I think how often you use it should probably dictate where to keep it.

If I'll reach for something often I'm not a fan of putting it away in a drawer, better to mount it on a tool board on the wall where you can just reach for it quickly as needed. I quite like tools being on display anyway :)

two padded cup hooks on the wall, hang it up, take it down, in a second. Then you wont "forget" to put it away when youve had enough for the day.

My measuring tools are in a metal tool box (mechanic's tool box type with a bunch of shallow drawers) with a foam rubber liner on the bottom. They're easy to get to that way, but protected when I'm not using them.

My 'Filing Cabinet'. If you study the picture Very Hard For A Very Long Time, slight build quality distinctions between mine and Pete's chisel box may become apparent. It's an illusion and should be ignored.
BvDDEZH.jpg

Bm101":jtvgffjp said:
My 'Filing Cabinet'. If you study the picture Very Hard For A Very Long Time, slight build quality distinctions between mine and Pete's chisel box may become apparent. It's an illusion and should be ignored.
BvDDEZH.jpg

Ah, but the only way Pete knows a tool is missing is if he opens the box... Which, being box-shaped, is bound to have 2cwt of other crépe piled on it. :-D

... and on the subject of measuring tools.

We bake and crush our eggshells to feed them back to the chooks.

SWMBO was in the garage, smashing the granny out of a bag of eggshells recently. I couldn't find my tape measure anywhere.

See a story unfolding here? :-(

(I might start using her rolling pin as a mallet now).

I have many tools on open racks and shelves, for easy access, including almost all the planes. The fact that there are easily reached tools does sometimes mean I don't trouble to get another tool out of its box, which, as noted already, will sometimes have other things on top. It shouldn't be like that, but that's what I have noticed.
Special chisels, files and measuring tools live in an engineer's home-made chest, which a neighbour asked me to help lift in the back of her car to take to the dump. I couldn't let that happen!

woodbrains":2pizo6ia said:
NazNomad":2pizo6ia said:
(I might start using her rolling pin as a mallet now).

Hello,

You mean you don't use her rolling pin already? :D

Mike.

When Doris realised her rolling pin was a nice lump of beech, it didn't take her long to carve it into something else....

We now have a non-wooden rolling pin to prevent a reoccurrence :lol:

Bm101":3ciy3q1i said:
BvDDEZH.jpg

:D

Pete

Back